Seeking Forester/Arborist advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Seeking Forester/Arborist advice

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:07 pm

My parents live in this cabin on an acre lot and its all big mature pines and sandy soil. All the surrounding lots are about the same.

Wish i had some better pictures but this is all i have available.

The land has some potential to harvest some game and theres plenty of space where you could make some garden beds but with the tall pines, it seems to hinder the productivity of the land. Theres not much cover on the ground and not much sunlight.

Any idea what the timber is worth and suggestions on how you could get more productivity out of the ground?

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
tmarbut

Re: Seeking Forester/Arborist advice

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Mike: I am not an active forester, but here are some items of information I suggest you obtain if possible...
-total approx number of forested acres on property
-soil/site index for the land (gives good indication of what the soils can produce - check usda soils reports for your area)

After getting that, seek out a recommended and reputable licensed professional forester to give recommendations and help implement a plan. Dont shoot from the hip on something like this. You cannot put a cut tree back.

Best of luck to you.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:07 pm

tmarbut wrote:Mike: I am not an active forester, but here are some items of information I suggest you obtain if possible...
-total approx number of forested acres on property
-soil/site index for the land (gives good indication of what the soils can produce - check usda soils reports for your area)

After getting that, seek out a recommended and reputable licensed professional forester to give recommendations and help implement a plan. Dont shoot from the hip on something like this. You cannot put a cut tree back.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! I think you gave me an idea and that is i should find out who a good forester is in the area and put them in contact with my dad. I have to tread lightly here since its my parents place. I think my dad would be more apt to take advice from a forester than from his son :mrgreen:
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:10 am

I'm a professional forester. and as aforementioned call someone. I have a buddy that works as a forester in Chippewa County but he just manages the county land. All the private landowner assistance is taken care of by the state forest service in WI. Give them a call. its not out of the question to have them set up or give you guidelines about bidding out a timber sale. I know in my case we will actually mark the timber free of charge and help market it, but we are not allowed to give appraised values. the landowner has to hire a consultant for that service. Knowing the local market is key to optimizing your economic return. And the forester should be well versed in helping you develop goals and objectives for your land.
I found this link for you. Gotta love the inter webs.
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestLandowners/assist.html
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 am

Bigburner wrote:I'm a professional forester. and as aforementioned call someone. I have a buddy that works as a forester in Chippewa County but he just manages the county land. All the private landowner assistance is taken care of by the state forest service in WI. Give them a call. its not out of the question to have them set up or give you guidelines about bidding out a timber sale. I know in my case we will actually mark the timber free of charge and help market it, but we are not allowed to give appraised values. the landowner has to hire a consultant for that service. Knowing the local market is key to optimizing your economic return. And the forester should be well versed in helping you develop goals and objectives for your land.
I found this link for you. Gotta love the inter webs.
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestLandowners/assist.html

Great info Bigburner Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”