Large Public Land Piece Help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

peteherbst

Large Public Land Piece Help

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am

Hello all!

I'm new to the site and the tactics this year, so I thought I'd get your POV on this rather large piece I'm trying to tackle. Where would you start? There is access all along the outskirts of this property, and a trail that goes straight through the center. There's the usual pressure along the access points and outskirts, but feel like everyone is trying to outhike everyone else too. Where might you start? You can see animal trails when zoomed in far enough on certain areas, but to access those trails is a different story. Very thick. I of course spent my spring killing a couple long beards so I didn't get out to scout it much.

If anyone recognizes this property and is already hunting it or would like to share notes, I'm all for it. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

“You have to pay your dues”
JAK
500 Club

Re: Large Public Land Piece Help

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

If I were to scout it I would start with the transition to east and south of goose lake. The south high woods looks like a good bowl and point and some possible bedding out in the swamp.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Walk the sides of the hills, find the concentrations of rubs and then head to the nearest wet ground. Tamaracks hold plenty of bedding
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks for the advice. I started in the north east corner of the map because there are a couple ag fields that are on the public property that always seem to hold does. I've also thought about taking the trail that goes through the middle and make the mile and a half hike in while scouting. That trail goes all the way to the west side of goose lake which seems have trails all along the edge of it.

I know Dan has previously talked about the height of a rub, but would you guys rather see size or quantity? I guess I would make the assumption that I'm looking for size to see maturity, and quantity for a lot of action.

Thanks again for the help!
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”