What is this?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

What is this?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

I've been spending some time scouting a big piece of public. Hill country in ohio. Some portions like this area have been clear cut and replanted with something but i can't tell what. My guess is these are all young pines. Is that what you all see too? Whatever it is its almost planted in rows.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Ghost Hunter

Re: What is this?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 am

Look like pines to me too.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Pine plantation maybe a Christmas tree farm.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Pines. I have them by me all over where they logged 10-20 years ago. That is their way of replacing what they took on public. Plus that is essentially a cash crop since they sell on the logging market, and grow quicker than other options, like hardwoods.

Big waste of space by me hunting wise. Some areas that were good decades ago for my family, are desolate wastelands now. Edges can be okay, but there are square miles of land you will struggle to ever cut a track in them. BUT they do make for a really good access to another area I have shot a couple out of.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I figured it was pines. I've scouted an area like this in the past but this one just looked really young and I wasn't sure. Here in PA, a similar area...I only found some doe bedding and a few buck beds on the leeward edge in some briars that grew up thick along the transition of the pines. So i think this area might be worth a walk around the perimeter of it. But I don't think I'd waste my time trying to walk straight thru it though. :think:
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 pm

I figured it was pines. I've scouted an area like this in the past but this one just looked really young and I wasn't sure. Here in PA, a similar area...I only found some doe bedding and a few buck beds on the leeward edge in some briars that grew up thick along the transition of the pines. So i think this area might be worth a walk around the perimeter of it. But I don't think I'd waste my time trying to walk straight thru it though. :think:
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Now this caught my eye. I would think scouting this red line would yield some slob bedding. Looks like they clear cut this and didn't plant any pines here. Probably super thick with briars. Thick to back open below. Common west winds...

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I may or may not know that they are pines for certain ;)
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:54 am

Looks like a naturally regenerated clearcut with a lot of hardwood. You can see the planted pines to the west. Those pines look bad for bedding just based on how nice and tidy it looks. I would be hitting that transition you pointed out hard. Especially focusing around that point of mature woods. There looks like there is another faint transition of pines from the west edge creating another little point and a nice pinch point between the two. I would be crawling around in there right now. What is the contour interval on that map? Looks like you have a nice steady elevation change.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”