New Marsh Location Advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

solemnlysworn

New Marsh Location Advice

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Hope everyone is doing well. I came across a new hunting location :dance:

So far I've only been able to cyber scout it due to it being a bit of a drive from the house but I think it looks promising. Looking at more than likely going in blind. With that, I have no idea what crops are planted in the fields or what the surrounding vegetation looks like. Based off other maps though I was able to identify a trail which is the yellow line to the north. The orange lines outline the marsh areas based off topo.

I've marked one potential bedding spot on a finger that is roughly 1/4 acre in size. I'm assuming this would be good to hunt on North/Northeast wind if i position myself to the top left of the finger. The stand location would be ~40 yards from the possible bedding area if i am right on the edge of the marsh and about 1.5 miles from the nearest parking. My main concern with a setup like this is the northerly wind cutting over top of me and swirling down as it hits the open marsh. I'm keying in on this spot primarily because of the escape options available.

Pictures can be found @ https://photos.app.goo.gl/qsLMhXQNVZvP6Tmh9

Any input or guidance that anyone can offer on the area within the pictures is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to continue learning from the Hunting Beast. Thanks for your time and help.

-Brad

solemnlysworn

Re: New Marsh Location Advice

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Photobucket Users:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 am

IMO...You need to scout your way in, with your stand on your back. Don't make a final plan. Make a plan based on the sign! Just make sure you stay far enough east to avoid potential scent into the bedding. On a NW wind, I think you'd want to be to NE of your bed point.

I also circled some areas I think look good for potential bedding points. Walking that whole transition would be my ultimate plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
solemnlysworn

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks TGreeno. A common theme I hear Dan mention is hunting the right areas at the right time. With this being public land, are there any recommendations as to when would be a good time to push in on this area? My season starts mid September and runs to the end of January.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:22 am

I would recommend walking that transition of thick edge that goes diagonal off the southwest corner of the field, particularly for an early season hunt before the pressure starts. It's the faint yellow line I believe.
solemnlysworn

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 am

NYBackcountry wrote:I would recommend walking that transition of thick edge that goes diagonal off the southwest corner of the field, particularly for an early season hunt before the pressure starts. It's the faint yellow line I believe.

The yellow line is a two track that is used for farming equipment. But I do now notice a bit of a transition line that runs just south of the trail and the ag field that looks like smaller trees are butting up against bigger trees... My luck it's probably a 100 yard thick patch of thorns and briars :lol: but if that's the case I'm definately interested to know what mythical creature roams there.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 am

solemnlysworn wrote:Thanks TGreeno. A common theme I hear Dan mention is hunting the right areas at the right time. With this being public land, are there any recommendations as to when would be a good time to push in on this area? My season starts mid September and runs to the end of January.

IMO...Sit it once early. Once during the rut. And once late season. That should give you a basic cross-section, of how it changes throughout the season. The sign can change drastically between those sits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 am

Couple of nice points there that should give you a bunch of different options based on wind and sign. Good luck!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 am

solemnlysworn wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:I would recommend walking that transition of thick edge that goes diagonal off the southwest corner of the field, particularly for an early season hunt before the pressure starts. It's the faint yellow line I believe.

The yellow line is a two track that is used for farming equipment. But I do now notice a bit of a transition line that runs just south of the trail and the ag field that looks like smaller trees are butting up against bigger trees... My luck it's probably a 100 yard thick patch of thorns and briars :lol: but if that's the case I'm definately interested to know what mythical creature roams there.

Ahhh ok, didn't realize that was a two track. I've found bedding along edges of thick briar and thorns like that fairly often. Back to the thick looking into the hardwoods, especially if there's any topography. Where's your access?
solemnlysworn

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the feedback Gents. Looks like I'm going to take a drive Monday and put out a camera and scrape for the summer. Aiming maybe 100 yards off the two track between the finger and the ag field. Thinking this is the best idea to get a feel for whats in the area and not booger it up to quickly. Definitely excited to explore this new spot come this season.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 am

solemnlysworn wrote:Thanks for the feedback Gents. Looks like I'm going to take a drive Monday and put out a camera and scrape for the summer. Aiming maybe 100 yards off the two track between the finger and the ag field. Thinking this is the best idea to get a feel for whats in the area and not booger it up to quickly. Definitely excited to explore this new spot come this season.

While you are there, go in an get some intel. Walk that transition! Then you're not guessing. There is plenty of time for everything to settle back down, before hunting season. You're gonna get you scent in there anyways, you might as well make it worth your while! Just my opinion.
solemnlysworn

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am

Hey guys. So I made the drive today to scout the area. After driving around, I decided on a different area. After about a mile in I happened to find this.
I wear a medium for reference. It was the biggest track that I had seen up until this point. Slightly splayed and roughly 5x3 inches with the dew claw. I questioned the actual size because it was made in mud but to me it doesn't seem mushed. I looked to see if there were any other tracks in the area incase it may be a doe with a fawn or two but there were no others. I walked the general direction of the track and happened across this next.
I'm not an expert on turds but have seen deer lay some massive ones. This is probably the biggest turd I've seen in the few years I've been hunting. But I still at this point couldn't rule out that it was a doe. I maybe an idiot but I don't like jumping to conclusions. I began to scour the areas that would be optimal for buck bedding. Eventually came across this.
It's not very tall and the ground is not worn heavily, though I did find hairs. This was the best bed that I found. There were other beds in the area but none had rubs near them but they all had good back stops. This one had the best view and was about 40 yards off the fieldedge. There are literally no trees to hunt out of between this and the field. I was able to find one spot where I can get in quietly and sit ground level for a shot if he exits the bed towards the field.

Just wanted to post for further opinions/advice.

Thanks.

-Brad
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

That's some good sign and nice scouting! Glad you decided to get in there and scout instead of just putting up a camera. This season I plan on doing some hunts from or lower to the ground. Do what you got to to get 'er done!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
solemnlysworn

Unread postby solemnlysworn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am

Perfectionitz wrote:That's some good sign and nice scouting! Glad you decided to get in there and scout instead of just putting up a camera. This season I plan on doing some hunts from or lower to the ground. Do what you got to to get 'er done!

Thanks. Tossed a camera in the area. Hopefully it'll help narrow down who owns the track and if they are worth the time!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”