Clover food plot popping up

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Clover food plot popping up

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am

Hey guys,

I'm sort of new to the food plotting game and have a question on clover germination. I broadcasted 4lbs of whitetail institute imperial clover seed over a little less than 1/2 acre area on May 5th and there is barely any germination at all so far.

The area that I seeded was planted in corn last year so there was a little corn stalk residue in the soil but not alot. I was able to disc and drag the soil very well before broadcasting the seed so I had a very smooth soil surface. I did not cultipack after seeding as it said it was not necessary in the instructions. We've got a good amount of rain and sun in the past week and a half and this is very good soil (southern MN).

If i'm not seeing anything come up should I re-seed and try driving over it with the ATV to pack it down? How long until you normally see your clover plots come up?

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Clover food plot popping up

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Planted May 5th? What was the soil temperature? If the radicle comes out of the seed and it’s too cold the plant may die. I’d dig around with your hands to see if you can see any germination.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue May 22, 2018 1:26 am

I’m not sure what the soil temp was, but the planting guidelines for zone 8 are April 1 - June 15th so I just went off that...I hope it wasnt too cold. I may give it another week and then seed again if I’m not seeing any progress
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 am

Those are just general guidelines, 9 years out of ten are good to follow that. Around 60 F I believe is good for clovers. They say you can get away with seeding on frozen ground, but I’ve had much better luck when the soil temperature is warmer. If you end up re-planting, try to time it if you can to be about 3-5 days before rain. Another thing you can do if you have any seed from that bag left over is do a “rag doll” germination test.

Soak a paper towel with water, place 20, (any nice even number will work) evenly spaced seeds on the paper towel, soak another paper towel place it on top of the seeds. Roll this up, put it in a ziplock back in the window, check it after 3-5 days and count how many germinate, there should be like 95% or more of seeds should germinate.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

If I seed again would you recommend rolling it with the ATV tires?
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 am

Yes unless the soil is extremely wet, seed to soil contact is important as the seed can only get water from the soil particles it is touching. I would recommend a light drag if you have one, if not driving it over is a good option.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 am

I bought another bag of seed. I think I am going to re-seed and then do a light roll with my zero turn mower tires and a small sled with a concrete block in it....Don't have an actual roller.....will report back how it goes. I will try to time it out before the next rain comes through as well.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I bought another bag of seed. I think I am going to re-seed and then do a light roll with my zero turn mower tires and a small sled with a concrete block in it....Don't have an actual roller.....will report back how it goes. I will try to time it out before the next rain comes through as well.

That should work as long as your soil has what it should in regard to minerals to grow the clover. I’ve used a log behind a four wheeler to drag my plots. It worked great.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I bought another bag of seed. I think I am going to re-seed and then do a light roll with my zero turn mower tires and a small sled with a concrete block in it....Don't have an actual roller.....will report back how it goes. I will try to time it out before the next rain comes through as well.

That should work as long as your soil has what it should in regard to minerals to grow the clover. I’ve used a log behind a four wheeler to drag my plots. It worked great.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu May 31, 2018 12:38 pm

Well I ended up not seeding again because we had some really dry hot weather recently, then we got some torrential rain storms. I checked on the clover today and it is coming up but pretty spotty and unevenly. Would you guys just keep dropping seed until it fills in?

I'm also starting to notice a bunch of grass coming up now too, so I will probably start spraying once the clover grows a bit more, maybe in mid to late june...I gotta say that food plots are fun, but man are they a ton of work.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu May 31, 2018 1:46 pm

You can fill it in in the spotty areas. If you so choose you can wait to control the grass by mowing when the clover is bigger. Or else spray when the grass is 6-10 inches y’all. Your call. Good luck!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Thought I would post an update on my clover plot. this is one small section of the 1/4 acre area I planted this spring. I sprayed with clethodim in mid June when the grasses began to come up and have managed broadleaf weeds with my string trimmer since I don’t have a mower that can mow that high. I was a little worried as the farmer sprayed his beans on a windy day and the drift hit the clover pretty bad browning it a bit, but it seems to have rebounded ok.

I’m very happy so far how it is coming in. I’ve actually watched deer eat the broadleaf weeds that come up so I’m not too worried about killing them all off. I’ve been able to watch two different doe and fawn groups use the clover I’m thinking by September this plot will be pretty thick.

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes that looks great. Just stay on top of the weeds and drop some more seed in and in another year your plot should really fill in nicely. Yea, if you are a perfectionist like me, then a few weeks can bother you, but as you saw, the deer don’t care about a few weeds
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:58 pm

What furtalizer did you use?
I put 6-24-24 on mine.

Looking good.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 pm

I actually haven’t put any fertilizer down. I’ve been trying to find some with a lower nitrogen value but that stuff is hard to find. Where did you get yours?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”