Working ground for food plots

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jteulker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.teulker/p ... 02133&sour

Working ground for food plots

Unread postby jteulker » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Ok guys, I am looking for a affordable way to plow my ground this year for a few kill plots. Has anyone used the atv plows, atv tillers or anything similar? I am also considering a subcompact tractor just not sure I want to spend the cash on that yet?

With the ATV attachments, will I be disappointed? Is there a brand that makes the best one?

Thanks everyone

Rancher43

Re: Working ground for food plots

Unread postby Rancher43 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 am

On my small bow plots I use a set of homemade disc that my wife’s uncle made for my 4 wheeler. I also spray the plot bout 2-3 weeks before to kill vegetation 1st. It works ok but as expected a tractor does better.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 am

I've never used ATV attachments, but I've also never heard anyone rave about how good they are either.

More work, but depending on the size of the food plots, you can get a lot done with a backpack sprayer, hand spreader, dirt rake, weedeater, & push mower.
jteulker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.teulker/p ... 02133&sour

Unread postby jteulker » Wed May 09, 2018 4:40 am

Thanks for the help guys. You also have to be careful when buying the attachment or youll end up spend just as much on them at a older small tractor lol
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 am

I’ve used them. Make sure you buy quality cuz those things take a beating. On some ground you have to rip around on the wheeler pretty good in order to work up the soil the way you need it. The disc will be bouncing around. It’s not easy on the equipment, or your back/shoulders/neck.
Get a soil test and use the recommendations for lime and fertilizer. It’s just not worth the time if your soil can’t grow what you’re planting.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu May 10, 2018 6:21 am

We have a heavy drag that we use on a couple of smaller plots that we can't get to with the tractor (too wet to get to a lot of our places even with our 4 wheel drive tractor. Spray for vegetation, drag the crap out of it with your ATV and get as much junk out of the land (sticks, tall grass, etc), then plant and fertilize. Then, drive around slowly again without the drag and use the ATV tires to get the seeds compacted into the ground a little bit.

The drag does cost a few bucks ( i think ours was $150-$200), but will last forever and can use it on all of your plots (big or small).
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am

Chuck B wrote:We have a heavy drag that we use on a couple of smaller plots that we can't get to with the tractor (too wet to get to a lot of our places even with our 4 wheel drive tractor. Spray for vegetation, drag the crap out of it with your ATV and get as much junk out of the land (sticks, tall grass, etc), then plant and fertilize. Then, drive around slowly again without the drag and use the ATV tires to get the seeds compacted into the ground a little bit.

The drag does cost a few bucks ( i think ours was $150-$200), but will last forever and can use it on all of your plots (big or small).

I’ve done this too. It works well with small seeds...clover and brassicas

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”