Location help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Location help

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 am

I am going to try to put my first food plot off 3 different types of clover this year. I originally wanted the far right box. I would have to fence it off from cattle. My father STRONGLY suggested the north box. And the yellow circle is just another idea. He doesn't think an electric fencer will keep cows out. Problem with his spot is there is no good trees for stands, we literally drive by it every time to check cattle. The southern end wouldn't be bad. My main struggle is that too the south and to the east of my location is some of the best deer hunting and bucks for miles. I want to bring them in. Period.

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Location help

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:02 pm

I’ve never put in a plot, so I’m no expert but listened to this yesterday. It’ll probably get you in the right direction:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wir ... 0409402550

It looks like you’ve got a lot of variables to consider on this property (competing food sources, neighboring pressure?, cattle, and access). Figure out the bedding and put your plot where you’ve got good access and can intercept them coming or going. Looks like the south near the creek might be your best bet for access and bedding. Maybe a late season plot if there’s going to be corn and acorns so close.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 am

Well in my opinion you can never plant to many areas, but I like planting so.... :lol: Fall is the best time to establish a perennial clover plot, so I suggest an annual now and work it again this fall and plant perennial. What is the big green field to the right of the bean field by the house? What is the long narrow strip of green along the woods just north(based on orientation) of the cow pasture plot? As for the box and the yellow, Id plant that whole area from one to the other. Id rather a decent size plot than worry about them being in range of a certain tree. Also worth noting, you will likely have to cut this plot 2-3 times during the summer or it wont be attractive to wildlife.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:10 am

I shy away from cattle when I can... I like your dads spot, but thats just based on the map obviously. It would be nice to have a tree to occasionally hunt there. Is there no trees anywhere around that grass field you could set up by? I would also tend to put it on the East edge. That way you could access thru the field and only an East wind would screw you. Where do you think the bucks are bedding in relation to the plots?
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am

Kenn that's just pasture. Most, if not all of the bedding is to the south or east in that chunk of timber. The main entrance to the "back section" is shown by the blue line and literally goes by the plot in both situations. If I choose the south timber it would be a "U" around the south side. East of the top section is a good idea. Not sure of trees for stands.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:57 pm

It depends on how wet your ground is but you should be able to go down and pick up a few 20' 4x4's or 6x6's along with several bags of quick create so you can build/put a stand where ever you need it. Worse case scenario you could need some guide wires but probably not.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 am

I like Dan's suggestion but depending on the topography I also like the general area I put the Orange circle.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 am

Well here is my latest idea. Stands areas and plot are marked. Purple is where the deer bed or will come from. Yellow is entry. I'll have to find exact trees soon. Blue is honestly where water stands and is probably horrible for a plot... Also that circle has cattle and is literally the gate to the whole "section" of pasture/timber

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”