Red Osier Dogwood Nursery

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Red Osier Dogwood Nursery

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 am

Does anyone know of a nursery in MN that has red twig dogwood for sale? I missed the order date through my county soil and water department where I usually buy it and the MN dnr is all sold out already....I'd like to plant a little bit more this spring. Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Red Osier Dogwood Nursery

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Does anyone know of a nursery in MN that has red twig dogwood for sale? I missed the order date through my county soil and water department where I usually buy it and the MN dnr is all sold out already....I'd like to plant a little bit more this spring. Thanks

If you know anyone who owns land with some on, you can easily cut shoots and plant them.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 am

Do you have to start the cuttings in a pot and then transplant them you think? I know some people use a root hormone to get the roots started before they plant them
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am

Itasca greenhouse might have them. They’re in Minnesota
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Do you have to start the cuttings in a pot and then transplant them you think? I know some people use a root hormone to get the roots started before they plant them

You can google it, but basically best to start in sand or loose dirt in a warm area, keep moist but not soaked until leaves form then check for roots. Once there is roots you can plant.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm

I started a little red dogwood project today after work. I ordered 5 softside 10 gallon planting pots, 5 32 qt bags of potting soil, 10-10-10 fertilizer, and some rooting hormone. I went back to a low land area behind my house that has some mature dogwood patches and cut 20 or so 1-2ft pieces, dipped them in the root hormone and then placed them in the pot with some potting mix and a small amount of fertilizer.

I'll may take some pictures of the progress over the summer. If this ends up working well I may just quit buying my dogwood from the county and continue my own personal dogwood nursery. I estimate that the small amount i planted would have cost me $35 from the county. If I put a half day into collecting cuttings I could save a ton of money...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I started a little red dogwood project today after work. I ordered 5 softside 10 gallon planting pots, 5 32 qt bags of potting soil, 10-10-10 fertilizer, and some rooting hormone. I went back to a low land area behind my house that has some mature dogwood patches and cut 20 or so 1-2ft pieces, dipped them in the root hormone and then placed them in the pot with some potting mix and a small amount of fertilizer.

I'll may take some pictures of the progress over the summer. If this ends up working well I may just quit buying my dogwood from the county and continue my own personal dogwood nursery. I estimate that the small amount i planted would have cost me $35 from the county. If I put a half day into collecting cuttings I could save a ton of money...

I'm not an expert on cloning, but I have had some success cloning a few different types of plants. A couple of things to be mindful of, first off it sounds like you're using smart pots which are excellent for growing in, Good choice. The thing is planting so many cuttings in one big pot is going to mean that you're going to have to really work hard to keep that soil moist enough for the plants to root. Smartpots are designed to quickly "dry" the soil so plants don't drown.
You may have good success using smaller cuttings, maybe a few inches long, and putting them into smaller containers until they root, then transfer them to a bigger pot.
I use small plugs called rapid rooters
https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydropon ... ter+plugs#

I will take a cutting , cut on an angle, dip in hormone and put in plug. I fill a plastic ice cream tub with them, moisten the plugs, seal top in clear plastic, then put on a warm surface under light. A cut plant can feed through it's leaves when it has no roots, so a warm humid environment is key. When roots start popping out put into larger pots.
Also, when transferring, I make sure the soil that the roots will first be feeding from isn't too "hot" with fertilizer as it may kill the clone.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:33 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:I started a little red dogwood project today after work. I ordered 5 softside 10 gallon planting pots, 5 32 qt bags of potting soil, 10-10-10 fertilizer, and some rooting hormone. I went back to a low land area behind my house that has some mature dogwood patches and cut 20 or so 1-2ft pieces, dipped them in the root hormone and then placed them in the pot with some potting mix and a small amount of fertilizer.

I'm not an expert on cloning, but I have had some success cloning a few different types of plants. A couple of things to be mindful of, first off it sounds like you're using smart pots which are excellent for growing in, Good choice. The thing is planting so many cuttings in one big pot is going to mean that you're going to have to really work hard to keep that soil moist enough for the plants to root. Smartpots are designed to quickly "dry" the soil so plants don't drown.
You may have good success using smaller cuttings, maybe a few inches long, and putting them into smaller containers until they root, then transfer them to a bigger pot.
I use small plugs called rapid rooters
https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydropon ... ter+plugs#

I will take a cutting , cut on an angle, dip in hormone and put in plug. I fill a plastic ice cream tub with them, moisten the plugs, seal top in clear plastic, then put on a warm surface under light. A cut plant can feed through it's leaves when it has no roots, so a warm humid environment is key. When roots start popping out put into larger pots.
Also, when transferring, I make sure the soil that the roots will first be feeding from isn't too "hot" with fertilizer as it may kill the clone.

Thanks for the info! You got the wheels really turning in my head now...
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:17 am

Here's a little update on the dogwood nursery I started. I can't remember how many I did but I filled up 5 10-gallon pots with cuttings that were various sizes in length and diameter, dipped in root hormone and placed into the pots. I watered about every other day and kept in a spot that was about 80% sunlight each day. I would say that about 60% of the cuttings survived. Some high level notes on the success:

The ones that did not survive were small in diameter and longer in length.
The ones that died had way more nodes above the soil line than planted below.
Another note, the ones that had several nodes (3-4 vs. 1-2) to grow roots (where the buds come out) grew the best, obvious to me know, but at the time I didn't really know what I was doing.

Here is a picture of a couple that survived when I went to transplant them into my woods:

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:02 am

Those are some great results! Nicely done. I'm in the process of trying to get some lilac cuttings to root right now, myself.
Isn't it satisfying to do things like that? I get a real joy from this sort of stuff!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 am

It really is fun, I don’t know what it is but I always feel like I’m in a better mood after planting a new tree or shrubs in the ground. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”