Help scouting Ontario public?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamCoady

Help scouting Ontario public?

Unread postby SamCoady » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:46 am

Hi everyone! This is a piece of public in Southern Ontario that I hunted last year with no success. Its a county forest that receives a fair amount of pressure during gun season(mostly in the southern high ground/hillcountry portion you can't really see in the image). Last season I set up in the cedar swamp where I had a nice 10 on cam. he was coming in during the last 15 mins of shooting light when I was absent(obviously he knew was there because I didn't even get a peek at him.

There is a lot of sign in the area, especially in the transition between the cattails and high ground to the north and south of them, however I can't figure out how there using the area, and where there feeding(ie surrounding fields, or oak ridges/flats to the south.

How would you guys approach this area? Any general insights would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

ImageImage

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Help scouting Ontario public?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 am

The first thing you need to do is find where those bucks are bedding!

I would start where you were seeing that 10 point on your camera, is coming from, and backtrack him to his bedding.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
SamCoady

Unread postby SamCoady » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 am

I'm pretty sure there is a good size buck bedding (probably my 10 point) at the southern tip of the swamp in the transition by that house, and I definitely jumped one last year in the late season from the northern area of the swamp where it transitions into the cat tails about 50 yards from my stand. I just can't figure out how there using the land or what exactly there feeding on at any given time. There's lots of neighboring ag land as you can see (mostly rotations of corn and soy, but I'm not sure if there making the trek and how there getting there or if there just feeding within the forest.)
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 am

The guys here start with finding an actual bed with hair in it. Then plan off that location.
SamCoady

Unread postby SamCoady » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 am

I'll get out there tomorrow morning and try and lock down where they are for sure, I'm pretty sure it's winter bedding
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:56 am

Once you find the bedding then, you see where the exit trails are going. Now you can see where they are traveling. Pickout kill trees on all the exit trails.

Deer can feed on many things. It's not always leading to an ag field. And it can change as the season goes on. Maybe acorns early?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”