High ph levels

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zona1

Re: High ph levels

Unread postby Zona1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm not a farmer, but I suspect the 9-28-30 is a starter fertilizer. Plants like corn and brassica need less nitrogen and more phosphorus and potassium in the first few weeks after germination as they establish a root system. When urea is applied before germination most of the nitrogen is wasted before the plants can utilize it. Applying 46-0-0 a few weeks after germination utilizes the nitrogen more efficiently.

lmurray1080

Unread postby lmurray1080 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 am

I am definitely not a farmer either and thank goodness as my family may surely starve! That brings up a good point about the starter fertilizer and its something I never considered so I learned something today. I didn't see anything about the recommendation of any additional nitrogen so I just wanted to make sure he would consider adding nitrogen to his crop or I think he would be greatly disappointed in the food production at maturity. Typically on the soil test results I get back from biologic or WVU extension it mentions what the soil requires including N-P-K and mentions spreading half of the nitrogen(Urea for me) 2 weeks after planting so I amend with required amount of all three 1/2 N and both P and K when I till it into my corn field just prior to no-till drilling which is an idea I got from the late great dbltree. I then spread additional urea a couple weeks after planting as you alluded to however I'm always concerned with nitrogen waste as I'm obviously unable to till it in or apply it properly at depth like a real farmer with proper equipment would be able to do. One day I dream of having the equipment to properly plant corn and apply fertilizer at the seed depth but until then I'll get by with a few hillbilly methods.

Zona1 - Do you have any further information on estimated losses of urea spread on surface? I had read once that you could estimate 40% nitrogen loss if left on surface but that if you tilled it in immediately after spreading it was less than 5%. It would be ideal if a legit farmer or someone more knowledgeable could straighten me out on this as I feel it would be good info to know or at least something to consider.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 am

lmurray1080,
There are too many variables to say for sure how much of your Urea you are going to lose due to volitalization. It could be very little or it could be most of it. It depends mostly on how long it lays there, the specific temperature, humidity, wind, sun or cloud cover and any precipitation, but if you incorporate it into your soil and pack the soil immediately afterward losses will be negligible. If you have to topcoat your plot instead of mixing it with the soil then the closer to a good rain the better. I like to get 1/2"+ rainfall within 12 hours and I have often timed it out so it was starting to rain just as I finished spreading it. Even 1/4" of rain will help quite a bit.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
lmurray1080

Unread postby lmurray1080 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks for the quick feedback DEERSLAYER and good to know!
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 am

As others have said buy the sulfur to lower ph. It may take time to change it but it's better to start adjusting now. Also if I have something that needs lower PH you can buy an acidic fertilizer like miracid. Then spray your fert on and it will help to lower the PH and give the plot some fert at the same time.
Polish Hammer

Unread postby Polish Hammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 am

Good point with the acidic fertilizer to help this years planting
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:53 am

Miracid seems like an expensive option. I almost mentioned this earlier but decided against it because it is almost always better to do it using standardized methods but if I were going to try to lower pH with fertilizer I would use Ammonium sulfate for your nitrogen source. It would be cheaper but still not as cheap as something like urea. I would check with your lab first to see if there is a maximum amount they suggest using.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 am

I'm not a big food plot guy but I do grow huge gardens every year. and adding organic material to soil can help a lot try tilling raked leaves into the soil. the high organic content will bring in worms that will fix your soil for you the organic will also sprout the micro fungi mycelia that will fix your soil. this type of soil after a couple years will grow anything. check this guy out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPPUmStKQ4&t=168s
If you ad nitrogen the first year or so it will speed up the process of the soil break down I've been planting food plot seed in my apple orchard and garden like this for 3 years and its working.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”