Where to Start

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckwheat
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1642189788

Where to Start

Unread postby Buckwheat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 am

I am going to be scouting some public land in Oklahoma called Spavinaw WMA. This WMA is approx 11,000 acres. I think that it is fairly heavily hunted during rifle season so I would plan to hunt during the early portion of bow season here. I am fairly new to scouting and hunting public land and have been learning quite a bit but I am curious to get some opinions as to where to start with this property. The shear size I think is what I am struggling with.
Below is a link for the area map:

Spavinaw WMA

etanderson21

Re: Where to Start

Unread postby etanderson21 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 am

i like to scout with google maps - i can use this at work and in the field - make labels for beds, scrapes, potential stand locations, mark out parking (so i see where people go)

i started by listening and watching dan's videos - with this knowledge, i apply it to the map. look for transition areas, points off island - use google maps for this. google earth also allows you to go back in time and see different time stamp images

finding there is no short cut :dance: . have to put your time in. scout scout scout, hunt. take that knowledge to move in on the kill.

i have brought down deer, yet not mature deer. its been 2 years of learning the area i hunt. so much sign - nipple high rubs, primary beds, etc. yet havent seen many deer when hunting. thus scouting this timeframe is critical - learn where you will sit this fall TODAY.

the image provided looks like this gets pounded by small game hunters because of the walking trails and is just hard woods... any other options of land to hunt around you? i wouldnt hunt this area
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 pm

You got to break it down into sections. Find thickest areas in each section and check core an edges for sign. Do this in each section while also locating closes food sources. Look for over looked spots too. Those are hard to find until you history of where everybody is mostly hunting. Keep in mind deer my travel long distances for security.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Zona1

Unread postby Zona1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Just my 2cents

1. Large acreage areas, I locate all parking and access areas. Any area 1/2 to 1 mile around these areas, depending on the difficulty of the surrounding terrain is ignored. Yes you can find an overlooked spot next to a parking area but I am talking initial scouting here.
2. Locate potential food sources. 2 miles is nothing for a mature buck if it's good quality food.
3. If you know the preferred bedding habits of the bucks in your area, mark those locations on your map.
4. By now you should have the area broken down into a more manageable area. As stated above, break these areas down into smaller parcels and learn every inch of them.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm

This is an observation of people's behaviour not of your map. I didn't look at it.

Once someone drives past something they rarely walk BACK to it. Often that makes the first acres less disturbed.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”