Apple location

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Apple location

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 am

What's best location in hill country for Apple trees. Interior woods? Within food plot?

My thoughts are bucks would hang up till dark with food plot. If I dropped trees and made small clearing off food plot inside woods would I be better off? Will roots from other trees fight my apple trees? The guy I mentioned in previous post put orchard location in the woods which would require some trees being dropped which I can do, as a first time planter I'm worried about competition being inside woods line.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Apple location

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Feel like hunter pressure would determine a bucks wariness & willingness to hit a food plot during daylight but I'll let the more experienced guys chime in on that.

Fruit trees need full sun (6+ hours of direct sunlight) so a "deep woods" apple tree wouldn't be worth your time unless you cut down trees or prune significantly. Then you start getting back to square one.

Unless you could find a part shade variety or a different shade tolerant fruit tree (persimmon, jujube, pear, etc) you're better off planting them in a food plot and hunting a trail they use to eat the apples.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:57 am

That's what I figured. There is a lane I could plant them on but it would take dropping a couple surrounding. In the long run it might not be a bad idea as the hill top is pretty wide open.

Pears don't need as much sunlight then, any idea how much they require. I could put pear inside tree line and apples on field edge.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 am

OHBB24 wrote:That's what I figured. There is a lane I could plant them on but it would take dropping a couple surrounding. In the long run it might not be a bad idea as the hill top is pretty wide open.

Pears don't need as much sunlight then, any idea how much they require. I could put pear inside tree line and apples on field edge.

Fruit trees in general need full sun or close to it for optimal fruit production. I believe pears, persimmons or crab apples would be your best bet..
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 am

Another thing to consider, if you are in hilly terain trees farther up the hill will be less inclined to be affected by late frost.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 am

Just going to throw this in the mix...

Apples are my favorite destination food source. Its takes the RIGHT trees in the RIGHT places on the RIGHT property. 100s of trees I look at in a season, rarely see a big buck during daylight. But the right ones can be dynamite.

That being said, my very best trees are the ones back in cover next to buck bedding areas.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:40 am

I put mine in a 13 year old grown up pasture that transitions from woods to pasture to crop fields. They receive full sun and are well drained. There is a water hole nearby also that I dug which sits down below the trees and is in an inside corner of the pasture which is directly above a point the bucks like to bed on
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:43 am

I have two options in relation to buck bedding. O

1. Small opening above military Crest and app. 75 yards above buck bed location. It's an excellent rut hub with intersection of bench systems on each side attaching at the 1/8 acre opening which I've planted last couple years. Good trees for stands at location.

2. 2nd option would be up on top of hill about 350 yards from that same buck bed, putting them in and up against our destination acre plot. I'd be able to put multiple trees at this location where I'd be able to do one or two at the lower location. Location one would be seen down below this flat before it gradually drops down to the second opening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”