TSI thoughts

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

TSI thoughts

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 am

My attempts at hinge cutting appear to be ok, many of my trees died over the last two years and I really haven't cut enough to do the job right, (don't want to upset my mom :D ). Had a feller hunt my place who is well known in the hunting community and has his own property workshops. He told me to can the hinge cutting paralleling my ridge top like your traditional travel corridor would be and make tsi down hill toward my bottom linking the neighbors clear cut, his thought is that's where the bedding is. The location he mentions is actually where the deer come up from the bottom to hit my food so it makes sense in my eyes but I have found single beds on my end if ridge. My ridge runs west to east, his suggestion is 40 foot wide corridor to the South and plant apple trees at the top of the hill which would be the far end of large food source.
I am trying to plan for my summer trip to do improvements and wanted to see what u all thought. My canopy is mostly closed still and my Dad isn't thrilled with doing much more cutting. Think it's a good idea to take his advice? I hunt November, live out of state.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: TSI thoughts

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 am

Ive been hired to help with a lot of properties the last few years after the "experts" have been there, and although there plans usually help, I see a lot of flaws based on what I know about buck bedding... I don't think hinging or thickening the lower half of your ridge will help much. In my opinion it would help a lot more to thicken from the 1/3 thermal tunnel elevation and above a lot more if your goal is to hold the bucks on your land.
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks Dan, I've noticed a ton more daylight pics the last two years of older class bucks since I began working on this so it is helpin and I owe that to you, Lance, and other members. I put water in a spot away from where u told me, I hung a vine scrape at it and had okay travel. I'll be taking your advice this summer and placing it where u showed me. As far as the cutting I'll stay on course and see if I can drop some bigger trees on tunnel. I may try the connection the guy mentioned but not go crazy with dropping a ton of trees, it will be roughly a 150 yard section.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Thick up top and open below is where I see most buck beds As well
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”