Apple Tree Cutting/Grafting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Apple Tree Cutting/Grafting

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 am

Anyone clone Apple or any fruit trees through cutting or grafting with any success. Been looking into it a lot lately and going to give it a shot. Seems like a lot of options, from simply getting cuttings to root, to growing root stock then grafting a species onto the root stock.

Bigburner

Re: Apple Tree Cutting/Grafting

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

I grafted some persimmons. I took cutijngs off of mature trees and grew them onto younger trees so they would fruit out the first growing season .I got them the fruit out on different sections of the tree. So the tree would hold fruit late into the season. You can get a grafting knife for cheep and all the accessories. There is probably 100 videos on YouTube telling you how to do it. I messed with sugar maple trees as well in college so we could create some stock with a higher sugar content in the sap for sugar bushes making maple syrup. Usually 10 gal. Sap for one gallon of syrup. With these genetically superior trees it would only take 8 gal of sap for one gallon of syrup. Pretty cool stuff.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Bigburner, I've been watching a lot of videos. Not sure if it would be best to try to get cuttings to root and grow, or make root stock then graft desired trees to the created root stock. I may try both and see what happens. It's a long term investment so hoping if someone found the best way I wouldn't spend time doing a way that's less productive.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Interesting subject. My brother has been messing around with it in the Adirondacks. As I understand, the rootstock is very important as some of the better fruiting varieties are not very hardy as stand alones. One thing that I plan on doing is grafting onto existing feral apple trees that are well established. A lot quicker results hopefully.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Another question is do you think you could graft an apple tree onto a thorn apple tree? I've been hinge cutting thorn apples and if this is possible I may soon regret this.

The thorn apple tree I'm referring to I believe would be a Hawthorne tree
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 am

purebowhunting wrote:Another question is do you think you could graft an apple tree onto a thorn apple tree? I've been hinge cutting thorn apples and if this is possible I may soon regret this.

The thorn apple tree I'm referring to I believe would be a Hawthorne tree

I doubt it. They are related in name only, otherwise they are two very different species.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 am

There is some tree that they grafted like 40 different types of fruit onto one tree and apparently it worked. So what I found out is that most fruit trees are compatible within their species, but many are also compatible within their genus. That means that Prunus species such as plums, nectarines and peaches can be grafted onto the same tree. Another common "fruit salad tree" is created when many types of citrus are combined on a single rootstock.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”