Pine tree logging

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

feutza
500 Club

Pine tree logging

Unread postby feutza » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Ok beast I would like to get some of your opinion's on something I could do to improve the land. Some of the pines trees we have have a disease and are dying so we are thinking of logging them all. I was thinking of leaving 3 rows of pines north of the red line to keep a transition line. North of the pines is low land containing a stream, grass, hardwoods, and soft wood.The yellow line marks the property line. Just trying to get other opinions on should I leave more pines try and make a point and so forth so shoot away beasts lets hear your awesome ideas

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Pine tree logging

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I hate pines. I am in the process of getting 21 of them removed from my rental property that is only a quarter acre. They got infested with boring beatles and are killing them quick. Personally I would cut them all and plant something more beneficial to the deer and other critters.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Hard to say what I'd do without knowing more, but if they're dieing and all the pines are the same species I'd cut them all. Looking at the property I'd probably then plant with switchgrass with small pockets of spruce for bedding scattered throughout.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 am

What part of the country are you in and what species of pine is it?
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:26 am

Southeast Wisconsin and not sure of pine type
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Cut them down and plant spruce. They keep their lower limbs at maturity making better cover for deer. Pine lose their lower limbs at 20-30 years old and are poor for deer after that. Or you could hinge cut some of them then let natural growth come up
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Cut them down and plant spruce. They keep their lower limbs at maturity making better cover for deer. Pine lose their lower limbs at 20-30 years old and are poor for deer after that. Or you could hinge cut some of them then let natural growth come up

Hinge cutting pine is dangerous and not worth the risk. You'll have little success if any as the fiber of pine will split and break off. If there isn't any log value and you want to take the above route just clear cut pockets to promote new growth either grasses or young trees hopefully will seed with the added sunlight.
Last edited by purebowhunting on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm

If you have any picks I'm sure we can figure out the species of pine you're dealing with.
Last edited by purebowhunting on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Yea these pine are roughly 60 years old half are about white pine which aren’t dying but the other species is
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 pm

feutza wrote:Yea these pine are roughly 60 years old half are about white pine which aren’t dying but the other species is

Is the species maybe Scots Pine, I own what once was planted for Christmas trees many many years ago, they seem to get so big then die. Seems like their root system rots quickly once dead. They have a bark that is very flaky and about 1-1/2" prickly needles.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:48 pm

I could write you some suggestions and give you some ideas but I don’t want to be long winded. But I would use a local resource like your county forester and let him know your goals and objectives and see what they suggest. It would be nice if you could market your timber and use the money to put into a habitat project. I see the potential for some really good early successional bedding that will take a few years to establish but should give you many years of potential. Maybe an irregular shaped clear cut
in the middle with points and depression on the permiter so you could set up on multiple wind directions around it. Also after a harvest you’ll probably have a mess of natural regeneration of the pines. Young white pines keep the bottom braches for a long time. Much like a spruce that was suggested so you you get some good bedding cover. Plus you get allot of instant structure with all the logging slash. It’s a bedding magnet with some young tree cover.
Another thing I have done in situations like this is make sure I set up a soft edge with grass and browse like silky, gray or red osier dogwood and just loaded up the perimeter so you have mature woods then a shrub layer and then the clear cut regeneration. I’ve even Thrown in some American plum and persimmon in the shrub layer as well. So far the scenarios I’ve set up like that have been doing really well and keep getting better as thing mature.
And I said I wouldn’t be long winded :doh:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Thank you guys for the suggestions bigburner I liked the detail
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:39 am

Hey bigburner we had a forester come look at the pines and he said they are red pines and spruce. The red pines are dying so he would remove all of them and then go threw the spruce removing the unhealthy ones. I personally would like to remove all of them but it’s my dads land so I’m the end it’s my dads decision. Thank you for the help and your opinion

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”