Slayer Seed - Crimson Trail

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Slayer Seed - Crimson Trail

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 am

So I figured I'd start this thread to post some real world results for you guys. Last year in the Big Buck Contest I was fortunate enough to win a prize package, and one of my prizes was a bag of Slayer Seed - Crimson Trail. I am not a food plot guy. Have never planted one in my life. So with nowhere to put it I gave it to my Dad who had earlier decided to put in his first ever plot.

This thread is intended to help Deerslayer (and thank him for his kind and generous donation), by showcasing his product. However the results will be what they will be and will be posted as such. ;)

Here's the situation. The ground it was planted on has been a rotation of wheat and beans for the last 17 years, and was oats last year. It is very fertile farm ground. At most there is 1/4 acre of slayer seed, then approximately 1/2 to 2/3 acre of buck forage oats. The seed was broadcasted, dragged, and then packed with my Dad's rural mail route car :lol: you can see the oats start where the crimson trail stops (Far end), and the rest of the field (right) is soybeans. It is an oddly shaped piece that is less than 2 acres total. The soybeans are not "his" and will get combined and dug.

Rain has been ideal for growth so far. In the pics below I believe the plot is around 16 days since planting. It's looking very good germination wise. Looks to have the makings of a nice lush plot!!

There is a barn and horse pasture just out of sight to the right, and strait behind me 100 yards is my parents' house. So this crimson trail and oat plot will be under surveillance EVERY day.

Deer live and winter on the opposite end of the slew they live on. They see deer on their land a time or two a week... sometimes it's weeks between sightings. There has never been a big draw to the disced bean or wheat stubble, as they have access to other stubble fields of the same variety, much closer to their bedding.

Last year dad had the renter plant oats and combine them for him for his horses, and the late season attraction to the regrowth was very eye opening. Deer were out in that field EVERY day. And LOTS of them, including a nice 3 year old buck here and there.

So this will be interesting. The oats are located further from the house and more conveniently for the deer, access wise, as they come around the lake. Oats are the first thing they'll hit upon entering the field.

So being at a disadvatage, this will really put the crimson trail to the test!! Please keep the orientation of the plots in mind as this will have an effect. They did have deer come up near the house last year, and even in their mowed yard. Dad even put a feed bucket out with oats in it under the yard light and had them coming in to that, even in daylight. So it is not like the orientation is completely unfair, as long as you keep that in mind.

I will post pics of plot growth periodically.
Last edited by Lockdown on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lockdown

Re: Slayer Seed - Crimson Trail

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

I would like to add that Deerslayer is top notch in the customer service department. Very willing to help, very prompt, knowledgeable, and seems like a VERY nice guy.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 am

Looking forward to the growth. When I speak with Lance it is beyond obvious that he knows what he is talking about.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:23 am

8-)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:03 am

What type of plant is crimson trail?

Looks like a brassica?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:16 am

Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 am

justdirtyfun wrote:What type of plant is crimson trail?

Looks like a brassica?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 am

Sounds like a great food plot mix. I bet the comparison with the oats will be interesting. You could be overrun with deer!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Sounds like a great food plot mix. I bet the comparison with the oats will be interesting. You could be overrun with deer!

It will be a good turn out late season. Will be very interesting to see if they hit the crimson trail earlier in the year. I know the oats will just get better especially after the first frost.

Historically numbers along the lake are fairly low until the corn comes out. Then pheasant pressure and rut will add a few, and gun season pushes more in. Mid to late December numbers are highest due to more moving in to their wintering grounds.

I'll try and keep the results as detailed as possible. I'll also note movement relating to weather and storm fronts to help us all with general deer movement and patterns.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words Lockdown.

Looks like a brassica?

There are some brassica's in it, but there are also 3 types of HSG's (High Sugar Grasses), 4 types of clover, 2 types of chicory and small burnet.

The bag was for 1/8 acre so it may be a little sparse if it's on nearly 1/4 acre, but with real good germination in may not come in too bad.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Thanks for the kind words Lockdown.

Looks like a brassica?

There are some brassica's in it, but there are also 3 types of HSG's (High Sugar Grasses), 4 types of clover, 2 types of chicory and small burnet.

The bag was for 1/8 acre so it may be a little sparse if it's on nearly 1/4 acre, but with real good germination in may not come in too bad.

It probably not even a 1/4 acre... that was a rough guess and not scaled off. It looked really good to me. The grasses were just starting to poke through. You can see them if you zoom in on the 2nd pic.

I'll post another pic of the progression in a few days.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 pm

AND THE PLOT THICKENS ;)
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Looking good lockdown!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 am

Looking good Lockdown!
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 am

Lance is a great guy no matter if purchasing from him or just shooting the breeze. Wish I lived closer so I could speak with him more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”