Stand Placement Question

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

qleroy

Stand Placement Question

Unread postby qleroy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am

So I recently did some scouting today and located an area with a couple buck beds along with some doe beds. It is an open marsh that is bordered by a river so the deer bed in the thickets of trees close to the river. They then use 1 of 3 trails to come out of the marsh and go up a ridge into a fresh clear cut. I picked out a tree right on the edge of the marsh where all 3 trails converge. The question I have is the tree line where I will have my stand placed is elevated compared with the marsh. So with that being said in the evening how can I avoid the thermals that will be dragging my scent right down into the marsh towards the deer? Should I try to be off to the side more or try to get down into the marsh itself? There are no trees that I can get a stand on they are more of tag elder clumps instead. I will try to post a picture of the area but am having a hard time getting it to work. [/img] http://rs1024.pbsrc.com/albums/y304/qle ... 1.jpg~c100

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Stand Placement Question

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Not sure if the blue dot is your stand? red line the deer trail? If so, your West of the deer swamp exit, which is likely to have wind issues cause in most areas west is a primary wind. Getting to the East side would be better. As far as thermals along the swamp edge go, you need to either get off to the side or test them just before dark during the calm time. With thermals I would not want to be straight above the exit, and with common winds I would not want to be west of the exit.
qleroy

Unread postby qleroy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:06 am

That is correct, the light blue is where I had a tree picked out because it offered the best shot opportunity and the red line would be where the deer come onto the ridge. Predominant winds for the area are from the west north west. In this type of situation would you ever try to get done into the swamp itself and hunt on the ground? Or stay right on the edge and try to intercept them when they are leaving the bedding areas? Thanks though Dan that makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:02 am

It looks like there's a pretty good trail to the west of our spot, coming from a couple tree next to the river. North of your "bedding" label.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
qleroy

Unread postby qleroy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:37 am

tgreeno yes there is a trail over to the west that comes out of a clump of tag elders that has beds. There is an equally used trail in the spot I selected they are just covered up with the red lines. Right where I have my stand location there is a small saddle in the ridge that they use to either cross or get up on the ridge. Where that other trail is its just a shear cliff so they have to walk along side it til they get to the saddle. I chose my spot mainly because this was the trail thay had rubs coming both in and out of it so I'm thinking this is the one the bucks use for access. The other trail does not have any bigger tracks or rubs so I believe it is mainly doe bedding.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 am

qleroy wrote:That is correct, the light blue is where I had a tree picked out because it offered the best shot opportunity and the red line would be where the deer come onto the ridge. Predominant winds for the area are from the west north west. In this type of situation would you ever try to get done into the swamp itself and hunt on the ground? Or stay right on the edge and try to intercept them when they are leaving the bedding areas? Thanks though Dan that makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

If the buck doesn't get to you during shooting light, then you may have to hunt him in the cats. You can do a ground set-up on the east side of the trail. Dan has showed how to do this in a few threads & video's. 2 lanes. One for viewing. One for shooting, to give you a quartering away shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
qleroy

Unread postby qleroy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:57 am

tgreeno wrote:
qleroy wrote:That is correct, the light blue is where I had a tree picked out because it offered the best shot opportunity and the red line would be where the deer come onto the ridge. Predominant winds for the area are from the west north west. In this type of situation would you ever try to get done into the swamp itself and hunt on the ground? Or stay right on the edge and try to intercept them when they are leaving the bedding areas? Thanks though Dan that makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

If the buck doesn't get to you during shooting light, then you may have to hunt him in the cats. You can do a ground set-up on the east side of the trail. Dan has showed how to do this in a few threads & video's. 2 lanes. One for viewing. One for shooting, to give you a quartering away shot.

I will definitely check out those threads because I have a couple other areas I may need to do this in. This is my first year hunting this area so I'll have to see how the deer react, thanks for the input I appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”