What food plot seed?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinfool14
500 Club

What food plot seed?

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:16 am

for those of you who plant food plots, im wondering what to plant and what kind of blend..i plant alot of corn and soybeans for late season. and in the past iv had decent luck with antler king products..i have a few 4 acre fields that i want to try and plant different products in this year..what do you guys reccommend? for bowhunting during early season and the rut, would i be better off planting clovers or a brassicas/turnips mix? and what brand?

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: What food plot seed?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:27 am

I have had good luck with a blend made by Brier's Ridge. The only thing I dont like about it is that the clover doesnt really grow much the first year, because it is overtaken by the other plants in the mix. My next food plots are going to be just soybeans I think..its really hard to beat soybeans IMO, especially since you can get them round-up ready, so it makes my life easier..

The other thing Im considering for early season (since there are soybeans all over around me in the early season) is oats. There arent much for oats around, so I think it would draw deer in pretty well, although I dont know which brand to go with..

I would think for early season and rut, you would be better off planting clover than brassicas/turnips. Turnips wont really get touched til the late season..
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 am

http://www.realworldwhitetails.com/store/seed.html

very good stuff, I planted some this fall and was very pleased
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 am

I planted some of their ez grow this year and was pleased with it also

I had gotten some free samples

I highly recommend it based upon my year one plot

http://www.brierridgeplotseed.com/Produ ... fault.aspx

cornfedkiller wrote:I have had good luck with a blend made by Brier's Ridge. The only thing I dont like about it is that the clover doesnt really grow much the first year, because it is overtaken by the other plants in the mix. My next food plots are going to be just soybeans I think..its really hard to beat soybeans IMO, especially since you can get them round-up ready, so it makes my life easier..

The other thing Im considering for early season (since there are soybeans all over around me in the early season) is oats. There arent much for oats around, so I think it would draw deer in pretty well, although I dont know which brand to go with..

I would think for early season and rut, you would be better off planting clover than brassicas/turnips. Turnips wont really get touched til the late season..
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 am

clover will be good early season

brassica and turnips won't be any good until late season
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 am

huntn is there any alfalfa in the area? I think alfalfa can be killer Oct-Nov...

I watched a brassica and turnip plot become the hottest food source around this past fall near the middle of Oct-Nov. It was my understanding that it would be a later Nov-Dec food source but the deer were just pounding this 2 acre kidney bean sized plot on my buddies land from Oct 15- early Nov.

A picked or knocked down corn field around Nov - gun is also killer
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 am

there is a standing corn plot near me that is getting POUNDED by deer and turkey right now!

Standing corn and beans rock in the late season!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”