Water hole location

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Water hole location

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 pm

I shot my 2016 buck on end of point of a long ridge in small clearing planted in crimson trail. Two benches attach to this hub and wrap around the ridge on opposing sides which I hinge cut travel corridors. I've located buck beds below my plot in thick tsi on the point where u would expect to find buck bedding roughly 50-75 yards away. The location provided solid daytime buck photos all season, something I attribute to the tsi along with slayer seed assisting. Until this fall I've struggle to get any daytime pics of bucks, I know the habitat work has helped and I am going back home this summer with hopes of strengthening my lines of movement and bedding locations. I have no water holes and am wondering opinions, would u place a hole on side of food plot since it gets daytime activity or place it off plot on third elevation on expected wind path toward destination food. My thought is strengthening the edge of this small plot with some edge feathering, adding mock scrapes to entice activity, and plant again possibly adding a strip of food to each side bench along my cuts.

If this hub is producing solid staging would the water hole be a good supplement in this location or should it go onto a defined trail away from the staging on their way to the destination source, Further this location with multiple stands appears to be a good location to attack on multiple winds and based on cam pics the bucks are using it on a variety of winds. Any guidance is much appreciated.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Water hole location

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I can't find the dot marking your water hole... I would say where you put a water hole can make or break this spot... My tendancy would be to put it right where the bucks enter the plot, slightly into cover. But if this limits the winds you can now hunt on the plot, by focusing attention to one spot, that should be considered.

Generally my plot recommendations are further back and the water is in cover close to the bedding as a kill location. I would go over the pictures from last season and see if you think all the bucks are making it to food in daylight, and then decide if you need a water hole there, and if so, make sure it ain't limiting your use of the area by limiting what winds you can hunt more so than what you can now. Your going to find that staging till dark may occur around the water hole. which could be bad if now they are making it into the plot in daylight, or it could be good if random entrances into the plot are occurring.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks Dan, I'll try and figure out how to get a map posted to show you exactly what Im talking about. I usually hunt pre rut/seeking due to living out west and only being able to afford a week back home. Any advice on mapping apps I can attach?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:45 am

mattyq2402 wrote:Thanks Dan, I'll try and figure out how to get a map posted to show you exactly what Im talking about. I usually hunt pre rut/seeking due to living out west and only being able to afford a week back home. Any advice on mapping apps I can attach?

Post a picture of a screen shot.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:25 am

http://caltopo.com/m/V7UG

Ok, I think I got it. the blue dot is the proposed waterhole, theblack is the point where I had scattered buck beds. The waterhole will be at small food plot marked in green. Ive hinge cut at third elevation toward the larger food source and west. I have the go ahead to make improvements as it is a family farm so any further advice would be appreciated regarding improvements. I also could add additional water if any locations stick out.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Take a look at my mark ups... The black is where north, west, and N/W bedding should be occuring. If its not, I would work towards enhancing that. The blue dot I added is where I would put water. I think the spot where the food is and you have a water hole marked is to far west for food or water cause you can't hunt it without your wind hitting a bedding area. If you have a north wind, or a west wind from that area it will blow to bedded deer. if you have a south or east wind, the big bucks likely won't be bedded there. If you have food or water there, the bucks will likely stop there and move no further in daylight.

mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:34 am

Dan, I hinge cut along the line your waterhole is on all the way to the eastern point but needed to open canopy a little more based on my fall observations. The black line you place is probably the best cutting I made but I am one contour up from your line, I did locate a couple single beds where u are pointing out. Would you place a stand over the water and keep stands away from the expected bedding, it's about 100 yards from your line or push a little further east toward bedding? I put a stand just off your water this year and saw one mature buck come of the draw from South clear-cut but since I tagged out on day one I didn't want to pressure things since my buddy was up, I should have taken your advice to scout a little but I went fishing....
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 am

Would you place a stand over the water and keep stands away from the expected bedding
YES

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”