Advice on a nasty area

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

Advice on a nasty area

Unread postby TreeRat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Well I have been on the piece of land for 4 1/2 years. I started with just 3 6 acre lots (18acres)a friend owns and after having to track a deer and knocking on doors to get permission to track I have acquired the rest of the 200 acres. We mow about 20 acres of grass to help the land owners and just be someone down there. It is great to teach my son the OLD WAY to get permission the go on someone else property. Little by little I get a pieces of the puzzle reviled to me by scouting or by being in the right place at the right time. I could use some help to learn the land asking locals about the area but I have come to know I would do all the work and find someone else in that area. So I have stopped doing that and have tried to figure out the lay of the land myself and still don’t think I am getting the best off this place.

After a few year in this area I can see there is NO asking for permission the hunt a piece of land (gun season and dog runner take over) Archery season does not seem to get to much action but we are quite and that can be hard to notice besides a truck parked on the side of the road.

This is all I do is Archery all season no guns. Its gets me in area where land owners are not gun (happy) friendly.

There is a few hunt clubs in the area and they run dogs . In some of this area that works for me but the rest of the time well its not for me and my style.

I have tried to fine a topo of the area but my comp crashed months ago and I think I lost it. To right of the road (east) is deep ravines and cuts lots of points kind of hunt-able recovery will be . Left of the road is fields and logged land that up by the green line (trail cut) could not be hunted even with a gun. Even the dog runners don’t want the dogs to go there. THATS WHERE I want to go. But I want to do the beast way. M son and I have cut a trail in there 2 years back and found it to thick to hunt. When the dogs start running I sneak in and that a look and have found the bucks like the trail we made. In the off (winter) season January we went in deeper to see if it open up any and found nothing . The logging took everything there might one or two tree I could cut a shooting in to use but is it worth it. I FEEL this is an area that deer use to feel safe in till the dogs start running and I would like to take advantage of that .
Black----Other Hunters and parking
White ---Deer trails
Blue------Rubs and Scrapes
Yellow---Stands I have in the woods this season
Pink ------First Beds found Snow Dec16-17 2010
Green ----Trail we cut and the area I would like to get in but feel its just to nasty
Maybe a 150 to 200 yds long ridge at 60 t0 80 yds wide.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Advice on a nasty area

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:38 pm

I would consider a tripod type stand in that thick area. Would like to see a topo of the area with the "deep ravines and cuts lots of points"
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 pm

I got this of line. the area to the top left is the thicket. I was thinking of going in there this winter and clear a few shooting lanes. there are about four trees that I could get a hang on in.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 am

Thats better... I see some great bedding spots. I will try and mark up the map for you tonight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”