How would you guys set up on this ridge?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msw08d

How would you guys set up on this ridge?

Unread postby msw08d » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:47 am

Hey guys I was wondering how you guys would set up in this situation. I have an Idea but will not mark the image for the time being. I have set up in the draw to the west of the picture and have sever trailcam pictures of a couple nice bucks in there. I think that the deer would best utilize the points for bedding with a S-SW wind here but am not sure how to plan a set without getting busted. Thanks!

backstraps

Re: How would you guys set up on this ridge?

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am

Are you wanting to hunt it now, or during the rut?

Have you prescouted for buck beds or just trail cams?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:50 am

Hey Backstraps thanks for the reply. Was thinking about hunting it now early season and want to see how you would approach it. I have not had a chance to scout this section of the property thoroughly yet because it is 8 hours away and I am busy with school. Was just going to cross my fingers and hope that one will be bedded on one of the north facing "ridges" since it looks like many of the successful setups I have seen on the beast.

On another note my dad did miss a big buck during the rut last year cruising that draw where I marked that trail out.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am

I like the saddle where the "tr" in trail is for rut movement, as well as the draw where your trail is dotted.

On a west wind, there maybe could be buck bedding below the "ra" in the word trail.

If you follow your dotted line south to the bold contour line...that ridge above the creek may have movement or bedding with a n-nw wind too.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:06 am

I like the saddle where the "tr" in trail is for rut movement, as well as the draw where your trail is dotted.

On a west wind, there maybe could be buck bedding below the "ra" in the word trail.

If you follow your dotted line south to the bold contour line...that ridge above the creek may have movement or bedding with a n-nw wind too.

msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:41 am

Hey backstrapst thanks for your thoughts. I had actually been thinking that the best spots would have been to the north of the plot but with your insight looks like I have some new spots to checkout. I like the idea of checking out that little bench you pointed out. That area is THICK and might hold some beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”