Order Cuttings From BIG ROCK TREES- CHIPPEWA, WI

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Order Cuttings From BIG ROCK TREES- CHIPPEWA, WI

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey guys there has been some talk on here about planting cuttings. I think it was sumac who asked about planting the red dogwood cuttings and if they will grow. Here is a site to a company, located right here in WI, that grows, gathers and preps the cuttings just for you to plant. The prices seem fair and based on the contact I've had with the owner over on the QDMA forums he's a great guy to work with. This really takes the guesswork out of doing the cuttings yourself and they are prepared with the growth/rooting hormone all you need to do is stick in the ground and protect them! Happy planting all!

http://www.bigrocktrees.com/all-cuttings

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Order Cuttings From BIG ROCK TREES- CHIPPEWA, WI

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm a little surprised that many of you do not have tree sales closer to home through your local conservation districts / soil / agriculture? They've had to cut mine way back here due to State funding being eliminated, but they remain open one day a week and their annual early spring tree sale remains as their best fund raiser. The counties surrounding me have had the same thing, but with the cut in State funding its hard to say. They have offered a wide variety of oaks, high bush cranberry, white cedar, red and white pine, red osier dogwood, fruit trees and many others. I've planted thousands of them on my old property which I no longer have- when I drive by on the interstate my view is becoming completely blocked by all the pines I planted along the fence just for that reason. I should add that another forum member has planted ten times what I have to improve his properties.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:59 am

We have a program similiar to that but we order them and they are shipped or picked up in spring. The prices aren't that great, and I've lost enough faith in the DNR. Aside from license fees (fishing, small game, deer and turkey) I won't be spending any money to benefit them this year or in future years until they have better management. Also, the guy at Big Rock did me a favor so I told him I would forward his business to others I know that may be interested. I figured this would be one of the better places to pass it along.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:16 am

Sounds like you've got a good deal going, BWH- it is very satisfying to watch your trees develop over time. I can pass along a little from my experiences, here's the set-up I had:

Very high deer population with a sharply skewed buck to doe ratio- tons of does and few bucks. Despite this, my property occasionally held a mature buck. During the winter, it wasn't uncommon for me to get a phone call that over a hundred whitetails were grazing in my open field by the interstate (a main reason for planting the pines along the interstate). It became important for me to realize what species of sapling the deer would leave alone and let grow, unless I took steps to protect the saplings. For example, 500 highbush cranberry or 500 white cedar would disappear completely within a few weeks during spring planting time. The deer devasted them and not a single sapling would remain. Surprisingly, I had good luck with the oaks along with the pines. Red osier dogwood was really a 50/50 proposition for me, the deer loved to munch it.

Bridge
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm

That is good to know thanks singinbridge! I have on order 25 red pines 25 norway spruce 25 white oaks and 25 white plums. The guy at big rock is setting me up with 100 cuttings of my choice in exchange for documentation of their growth this year compared to seedling trees and what not. My dad owns a hardware store so hopefully the poultry fencing for protection will come at no cost. I am in school for Urban Forestry (have switched from forestry to horticulture to finally urban forestry) and I have access to alot of knowledge and some good tools for starting everything off right. On my winter break I hope to get some apple seeds going in pots out in the cold. And when back to school can transfer them over to the school green house for a few months to get a jump start on the growing season! Thanks for your help as long as I am documenting my "research" (if one can call it that) I will post my advances here on the beast as well. I find nearly as much enjoyment in food plotting/planting as hunting on our land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”