Top 3 or 4 food plot for attracting deer in season - ez to p

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Top 3 or 4 food plot for attracting deer in season - ez to p

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 am

What would your pick to plant to attract deer to your hunting area in season and also provide a late season food source to help the deer? That is easy to plant and take care of.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Findian
500 Club

Re: Top 3 or 4 food plot for attracting deer in season - ez

Unread postby Findian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:02 am

Winter wheat. Brassica turnip mix. Easy to plant and cheaper.

Corn. Soybean. More expensive

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:09 am

Ladino clover I've seen deer dig thru snow to eat it. It stays green thru most of our season in southern mi. I've had great luck with winter rye also. I've got thousands of pictures of deer eating it sept thru December. I planting brassicas one year and the deer didn't touch them till January but I head that's a regional thing

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 am

Hawthorne wrote:Ladino clover I've seen deer dig thru snow to eat it. It stays green thru most of our season in southern mi. I've had great luck with winter rye also. I've got thousands of pictures of deer eating it sept thru December. I planting brassicas one year and the deer didn't touch them till January but I head that's a regional thing

I love the turnip idea but I've heard it can take a few years for the deer to take to them although they may tear up the leaves. Also not sure it gets consistently cold enough in southern Indiana to make them sweet. I had thought it might make a good option for January to March or so.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:55 am

I've had great luck with whitetail institutes "winter greens" (brassica/turnip mix). Plant early august and if you follow the instructions and use urea in the recommended dose when the plants around 4-6" high, the stuff really grows like crazy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Forage radish = late September to Nov
Turnips = Dec till gone
Winter rye = will fill in bare spots and prevent weeds the next spring + super shed attractant once snow melts in spring = green under the snow

All are EASY to plant

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Clover- Low inputs
Soybean- Mild inputs
Corn- High input

I feel that a Persimmon-Pear-Apple or Chestnut orchard with clover on the ground would be one heck of a feeding area though. If you have a larger spot to use I would heavily consider it, once tilled and planted it's relatively low maintenance for several years besides annual pruning and fertilizing and mowing the clover.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”