disk cultivator

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: disk cultivator

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:51 am

I have a tractor with a 4 or 5ft dual row serated disc. Waste of money. If I had to do it all over again, a pto driven tiller is the way to go. You can till and plant the same day. With my disc if I dont spray the vegetation, I have to disc it several times over 8 days or so and it takes many passes to get the desired results. Tiller is 1 pass in most situations.

That being said, I see you have a lawn mower and looking for cheap options. I dont have experience with these single row units, but if my big one isnt doing well, cant see how something like this can be that great. I think you would be better off renting a walk behind tiller from Homedepot.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: disk cultivator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:25 am

kenn1320 wrote:I have a tractor with a 4 or 5ft dual row serated disc. Waste of money. If I had to do it all over again, a pto driven tiller is the way to go. You can till and plant the same day. With my disc if I dont spray the vegetation, I have to disc it several times over 8 days or so and it takes many passes to get the desired results. Tiller is 1 pass in most situations.

That being said, I see you have a lawn mower and looking for cheap options. I dont have experience with these single row units, but if my big one isnt doing well, cant see how something like this can be that great. I think you would be better off renting a walk behind tiller from Homedepot.

I agree Ken those small light weight discs are just nor beefy enough. I also agree it is tough to beat a tiller for those small to middle sized food plots. That said a good heavy 10 feet disc will work up a 1 acre food plot in short order. There are many options for planting food plots.

The pictured food plot is a clover patch that was sprayed and broadcast seeded with a small hand seeder. No tillage what so ever. A good friend of mine does most of his food plots like this no tillage at all. Lot of different ways to go.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”