My first osage orange cutting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

My first osage orange cutting

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 am

I thought it would we really neat to have my own osage orange tree, in case I get better at making traditional bows. I'm in the beginning (learning and failing) stage right now. My first time taking cuttings too. Most of my cuttings are too long and struggling, but this one is off to a good start. I'm excited!

Yes, I am a long-term planner.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
freezeAR
500 Club

Re: My first osage orange cutting

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:42 am

That is cool. I have never tried to grow osage. I have it around my area and make several long bows. It is very addictive. What part of the country are you in?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:28 am

I love those trees. Most of the farms I hunt have them. I hunted out of an Osage orange tree one sit this year. Strong heavy wood and mean to work on. Wood lasts forever.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:55 am

They are very common down this way
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:34 am

FreezAR--I am in Indiana. These are around here somewhat but not super common down South by you guys. Stanley, I have heard osage is pretty tough to work with as it is very hard, and very durable. I now check out all of the old fence posts I find in the woods, and most of the really old stuff is osage.

There was some talk on here awhile back about traditional bow making and I thought it was really neat. I thought I'd give it a try. By the time this tree grows up I should be much better at it, and be able to work with a more difficult wood. I just cut down an ash tree in my yard, and next weekend I'm going to help a buddy cut down a red oak in his yard. I'll see if I can get a few staves from that as well. It's interesting how much wood you have to search through to find a good stave.

I have an area back by the creek where I was going to place this cutting, but I am not sure if it would be too wet for this type of tree.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 am

Motivated wrote:FreezAR--I am in Indiana. These are around here somewhat but not super common down South by you guys. Stanley, I have heard osage is pretty tough to work with as it is very hard, and very durable. I now check out all of the old fence posts I find in the woods, and most of the really old stuff is osage.

There was some talk on here awhile back about traditional bow making and I thought it was really neat. I thought I'd give it a try. By the time this tree grows up I should be much better at it, and be able to work with a more difficult wood. I just cut down an ash tree in my yard, and next weekend I'm going to help a buddy cut down a red oak in his yard. I'll see if I can get a few staves from that as well. It's interesting how much wood you have to search through to find a good stave.

I have an area back by the creek where I was going to place this cutting, but I am not sure if it would be too wet for this type of tree.

Fence posts last forever. They just don't rot and the bugs seam to not like them. The wood burns slow and not as hot as oak/hickory.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:15 am

I have made self bows out of hickory, elm, mulberry, crepe mertle and osage. I must say that my favorite by far is osage. Extremely good characteristics for a bow. Insect repellant, moisture resistant, rot resistant and very dense. Building bows certainly gets addictive. It seems like I am always working on one. I am working the back down on a stave now.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 am

Don't they make some golf club heads out of that also?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:08 am

Southern Man wrote:Don't they make some golf club heads out of that also?

They might. Persimmon was the most popular wood for golf club heads

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Southern Man wrote:Don't they make some golf club heads out of that also?

They might. Persimmon was the most popular wood for golf club heads

Ahhh yea, that's what I was thinking of, persimmon
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”