Any options for mid October food plots?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

Any options for mid October food plots?

Unread postby basspro05 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:32 pm

I am in NE Kansas. I didn't plan on being ready to plant a food plot until 2017, but we are going to be pulling cattle off the pasture and converting back to native prairie grass. We will be spraying the pasture in mid September and while we do that I wanted to spray our bottom field and get it food plot ready.

I figure by the time its sprayed twice, mowed, and then disced up it will be early to mid October.

Is there anything I could plant that would grow that late into the early winter? Or should i save my money and just plant 2017?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Any options for mid October food plots?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 am

Winter rye or winter wheat. I've planted winter rye late September in Michigan and it came up good. Its good for your soil also for next year if you decide to plant clover or something else.

basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:16 am

Hawthorne wrote:Winter rye or winter wheat. I've planted winter rye late September in Michigan and it came up good. Its good for your soil also for next year if you decide to plant clover or something else.

Thanks for the tip I will look into it!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:49 am

We plant oats and red or crimson clover together in SC. The two are compatable and beneficial to each other and last all winter but all we get are frosts and some minor freezes, no real cold weather.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”