Map Study

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Map Study

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

PK_ wrote:
Florida-East wrote:Really?!... man I would be lost in NC.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Perhaps, but from the details in your post I feel you are not the least bit lost where you do hunt ;)

Buckshot20 wrote:I scouted a very similar set up today. Never found a defined bed but found a great staging area. A high point shooting into the cypress covered in sign.

Either that point is the bedding area or you missed a little hump or dry spot just off of it (Could also be under water, a lot of the state the water is way up). But it sounds like a good spot.

I think I missed the bed. It was almost like an hourglass one point from the West and one from the east. Both points had good sign. I thought I had a bed on the east point but wasn't really sure. Defined rub lines on the north and south sides of the swamp on the transition. Even as wet as it is it wasn't over my boots so there may have been something in the cypress I missed.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:45 am

Buckshot20 wrote:
PK_ wrote:

Perhaps, but from the details in your post I feel you are not the least bit lost where you do hunt ;)

Buckshot20 wrote:I scouted a very similar set up today. Never found a defined bed but found a great staging area. A high point shooting into the cypress covered in sign.

Either that point is the bedding area or you missed a little hump or dry spot just off of it (Could also be under water, a lot of the state the water is way up). But it sounds like a good spot.

I think I missed the bed. It was almost like an hourglass one point from the West and one from the east. Both points had good sign. I thought I had a bed on the east point but wasn't really sure. Defined rub lines on the north and south sides of the swamp on the transition. Even as wet as it is it wasn't over my boots so there may have been something in the cypress I missed.

If you have Pine trees mixed in the wet area of the cypress swamp I have been finding some bedding on the humps they grow on. I had sent a pic to one of the guys to get confirmation of what I had found the first time, but I have found hair in a few of them the last couple I have found. It seems at least where I am hunting to be a common bed spot around 15 to 25 yards from the transition line of the swamp to dry ground. I can't remember what kind of pine tree grows in these but I remember someone telling me one kind will grow on a hump of sorts and one will not that we have here in FL. Maybe one of the guys here can provide some more input on it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:
PK_ wrote:

If you have Pine trees mixed in the wet area of the cypress swamp I have been finding some bedding on the humps they grow on. I had sent a pic to one of the guys to get confirmation of what I had found the first time, but I have found hair in a few of them the last couple I have found. It seems at least where I am hunting to be a common bed spot around 15 to 25 yards from the transition line of the swamp to dry ground. I can't remember what kind of pine tree grows in these but I remember someone telling me one kind will grow on a hump of sorts and one will not that we have here in FL. Maybe one of the guys here can provide some more input on it.

Most likely slash pine and depending on location spruce pine.
Ryan
500 Club

New map study

Unread postby Ryan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Sorry guys, been busy this past week but here is a new map, random photo somewhere in Indiana I believe. Lets see how you guys think deer would use this terrain

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm not much of a hill country hunter but if nobody else wants to take a stab I will ;)

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 pm

I also like the wooded point and the bench.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”