Hinge cut?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Re: Hinge cut?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:56 am

I was able to get home, I hinged a lot of maples, dropped some dead ash for firewood. I did a decent job of opening the canopy on both sides of my food plot extending to my point on ridge. Definitely opened up sneak trail for sunlight to get some new growth. I also made two defined bed areas off large food plot for my does. I had Dan assist with mapping bedding last year, I was able to walk to and locate the buck beds just as predicted. Pretty cool. Anyone know if deer browse on maple? I'd guess I'm at 80% maple on the property.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:07 pm

mheichelbech wrote:With respect to hinge cutting, is it to close to season to do this on a smaller property, less than 50 acres? What would you think about doing if the property is basically flat and already pretty thick over at least half the property? I was thinking of doing it to create more browse although they already seem to have a fair amount between the olive bushes and ground cover type vines (winter creeper I think).

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Olive bushes and winter creeper probably don't give deer much. Typical urban landscape, foreign invasive plants.
We are overwhelmed with bush honeysuckle here. For hunting it can direct the deer pretty well and gives some ground hunting options.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
bioactive

Unread postby bioactive » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:00 am

mattyq2402 wrote:I was able to get home, I hinged a lot of maples, dropped some dead ash for firewood. I did a decent job of opening the canopy on both sides of my food plot extending to my point on ridge. Definitely opened up sneak trail for sunlight to get some new growth. I also made two defined bed areas off large food plot for my does. I had Dan assist with mapping bedding last year, I was able to walk to and locate the buck beds just as predicted. Pretty cool. Anyone know if deer browse on maple? I'd guess I'm at 80% maple on the property.

Maples are high on the list of browse species for deer. Here is a video showing how quickly a single (larger) maple tree can become a social area in winter when brought to the ground.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2ZTGtps_Q&list=PLxmNPyQu2iO7KKibpQoBlg6fNiMdTmu9r[/youtube]

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”