Food plot, what to plant?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Food plot, what to plant?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:30 am

Ok guys, I need some input.... I'm going to do a 100 ft x 100 ft food plot this year. What I would like is, to be able to hunt over it the first weekend or two of bow season here in Southern WI... So that's about Sept 17th I think...

The plot will be in the middle of the woods. Approximately 300 yards in each direction, is ag fields of corn, beans, alfalfa by the neighboring farmer.

I can get equipment to the plot to work up the soil.... I will be doing a soil test as soon as the ground is thawed out, to get ph level correct....

My question is, what would you plant if you are trying to draw deer to that area the first couple weeks of bow season? There is soooooo many different types of plants to pick from.... I'm not talking what brand names, I mean what types of forage would you plant.

Forages I see advertised alot are.....
clover
oats
lettuce type brassicas
radishes
turnips

Any suggestions? Like I said, I would like to hunt over it early season, but it would be nice if there was something there for them to eat the rest of the fall and winter time...

Also, not sure if I want a annual or perennial. I don't have a mower that I could get to the plot to mow it if needed the following year, so?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Food plot, what to plant?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:54 am

For early season I would do a blend of clover with the meat of it ladino. They nail my clover plots from summer thru fall. Oates and Austrian peas would be another good choice clover is easier to grow IMO. Im in a heavy AG area and had a farmer tell food plots don't work because of all the corn and beans. Glad I did'nt listen to him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Hawthorne on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:55 am

Brassicas in year 1. Frost seed the following spring with clover.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 am

so if a guy plants clover, do you need to mow that during the summer months? What do you guys do about weeds?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:08 am

Small plot like that one could be managed with a weed whip in a pinch.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Small plot like that one could be managed with a weed whip in a pinch.

Ok , but the plants themselves don't need to be knocked down a notch during the year?

and why frost seed the following year, and not work it up first?

Forgive me for all the questions I have, this is new to me, but I am intrigued, can't wait to get started.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:16 am

I spray my plots with clethodium grass specific. Its all right to have some weeds in there grass is what I take out. Its good to mow a couple times a year like bass said a weed whip for a small plot.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 am

Hawthorne wrote:I spray my plots with clethodium grass specific. Its all right to have some weeds in there grass is what I take out. Its good to mow a couple times a year like bass said a weed whip for a small plot.

X2. You want young and tender stems. Not old and tough.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:27 am

ok, now I see what you guys are saying..... How far do you guys knock it down, Like a mower would do, 6" or so? Also, how long before the opener (next year) would you mow it, a month?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:30 am

I've frost seeded ladino clover in pasture grass then ill come back in may when the grass is 6-8 inches and spray with clethodium to kill the grass. Turned out good. That's how I started one of my plots

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 am

Im not an expert but a month should be good. I think I mowed mine 4-6 inches

Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 am

Another good thing is buckwheat early season. A lot of what you're trying to grow is going to depend on your soil(ph) & how many hours of sun if you're in middle of woods. Have you tested soil?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:09 am

my buddy used to hunt on a huge farm in northern Illinois with monster bucks all over. they had nothing but ag fields everywhere and deer could have pic of anything they wanted. the farmer would put in 1 food plot of anything that wasn't anywhere else on the farm and the deer flocked to it ....sort of supply and demand, it was the only place to get it. so maybe put in something they cant get anywhere else .
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:23 am

My buddy said to put in sugar beets, he claims they go nuts over it... Anybody here have that kind of luck?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:27 am

dreaming bucks wrote:My buddy said to put in sugar beets, he claims they go nuts over it... Anybody here have that kind of luck?

They need a frost to sweeten i heard.Never planted them myself. Deer can be finicky with brassicas and beets in certain areas

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”