New here, new land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckhunter

New here, new land

Unread postby Buckhunter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi all, i am new to posting here but i have been reading through the site and keeping up with threads for the last few months. Ive learned so many new things in these past 6 months and i am always eager and willing to learn and improve every time i get in the woods.
Anyway this is some new public land and I'm hoping i could get some feedback. I just ordered all of the DVDS so i am not to good at locating where the mature bucks will be on certain landscapes, but hopefully some vets and Dan can comment here and let me know what you guys think of this land. Also, the caption "closest" means nothing i just marked it as closest because it is the closest public land to my house. I also do not know how to screenshot too maps so if possible take a look at the topo maps and let me know how the land looks based of off that. The land is Thistlewaite State Wildlife Management area in Louisiana

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: New here, new land

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 pm

What's in the fields surrounding the property?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 am

I would suggest getting out there now while season is still open & try to determine where most of the pressure is. The cutovers in there are the most prominent edge features & surly hold deer, but the also likely attract the most pressure. Targeting smaller palmetto/briar thickets on creek bends maybe the best option for older bucks.

Good luck in the palmetto jungle.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:24 am

Outdoor, i have not set foot on the grounds yet so i can't tell you for sure but all the fields surrounding are agg fields.
Cbbigbear, thanks for the advice, if possible could you, and also anyone else who wants to help me out, mark the spots that i should start looking for buck beds when i go scouting
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 am

Also, here is another piece of property that i was considering for next season
Let me know what you thinkImage
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 am

My photobucket is acting up. If you want shoot me a pm with your email address & I'll send you a mark up. The hills of Kisatchie or Tunica would have muuuccchhh more predictable bedding then Thistlewaite. Not saying the hunting or deer quality would be better/easier, it's just the hill country offers easier map reading & more consistent buck bedding.
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

Okay will do.
If anyone else has any opinions or comments please feel free to comment here or PM me. I am always looking to improve and will be dedicating much of this off season to learning more here on this site and learning more about the land i hunt, so feel free to mark up the maps i posted and give me some feedback
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 am

cbigbear wrote:My photobucket is acting up. If you want shoot me a pm with your email address & I'll send you a mark up. The hills of Kisatchie or Tunica would have muuuccchhh more predictable bedding then Thistlewaite. Not saying the hunting or deer quality would be better/easier, it's just the hill country offers easier map reading & more consistent buck bedding.

I sent you a PM with my email, not sure if you saw it or if it didn't send. I sent another one today with my email let me know if you do not get the PM
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 am

CBIgbear knows his stuff when it comes to your area... If he offers you advice, I would listen ;)

As far as me, I would look at the small openings,(circled in red) especially the wet ones. And the transition lines (circled in blue)

And the islands of brush surrounded by low water

and the oxbows on the rivers, especially the ones that point predomanantly down wind and are near food.
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks Dan. Ill be sure to check those spots.
Can you take a look at this, I'm just curious as to why these areas i marked weren't looked at by you, just curious as to why they weren't marked upImage

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”