Fast growing trees

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Fast growing trees

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Guys, looking for some ideas for fast growing trees to plant on some property I am buying. Attracting deer is not necessarily the main purposed. Although that would be nice. The property is dry higher ground. Their are some pines, apple tree, and tall bushes, and a tree line with oaks right now. It has alot of tall grass and weeds on it. I was looking at some hybrid poplar trees, but wondering how they do? Supposedly they grow to 50' in 10yrs. I would like to mix it up a little, just looking for the fastest growing tree I can find for cheap. Let me know what has worked for you and what to expect for growth rates. Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Fast growing trees

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Norway spruce are fast growing pines that are great for screen or to thicken things up. White pines can grow fast too. I've used both successfully but just for screening mainly.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Poplar & Silver Maple trees grow fast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Speckled alder. Grows more like a tree than a shrub. Up to 8 feet a year. Do a research on the qdma forum. Lots of info

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:03 pm

It sounds like the property is fairly open. Mostly field? If so you can set it up real nice. There are enough fast growing trees, shrubs and warm season grasses (for cover) out there that you can have good hunting in 3-5 years. Assuming you have the time and money to get everything planted right away. You would need to get a good accurate plan mapped out (as in online to get coordinates to transfer the plan to the field) before you started and then go to town. Hybrid poplars, hybrid willow and royal empress tree (paulownia) can grow as much as 12'-15' in a year. Royal empress are also a somewhat valuable hardwood tree, but they may not be for you depending on how far north you are. Hybrid poplars only live about 30 yrs (50 if your lucky), but can be quick stand trees. There are plenty of great shrubs that can double as both food and cover too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:43 am

The property is 6 acres to build a house on, not really to hunt on. But deer pass through it. It is in SE wisconsin. Pretty much kettle moraine glacier terrian.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 am

I agree with john deere and hawthorne, the norway spruce is the fastest growing spruce, and speckled alders offer great cover, also autum olive trees offer great cover, one thing you could do i heard of guys doing to keep people from shining or juat give the deer a little more privacy is plant ur trees then plant a belt of corn behind them for a few years until they grow enough. Also i wouldent leave out switch grass and other tall native grasses. On my property when the pressure is on i can always count on deer being in a big swail right by the road

adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:00 am

Where is a good place to buy norway spruce, hybrid willow or poplar for cheap? What can I expect to pay?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:15 am

We planted hybrid willows in the yard here... They grew amazingly fast. Only been about 5 years and they are 15 to 30 feet high.. But, they are not very hardy and the biggest ones are already starting to die... I would consider a mix of hybrid and real so that when the rapid growing trees start to die you have the hardy long living trees starting to take there place. Hybrid seem to grow fast and die fast...

You could also consider buying larger trees and having them put in buy a landscaping company...

We have ordered from: www.eburgess.com www.excitinggardens.com and there is another place I can't think of the name of but will try and find for you where we bought bulk discount trees.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:57 am

if you want a quality tree and and a valuable tree and they grow fast for hardwood, and will last a long time,walnut trees. I just plant nuts and they are doing amazingly well. most guys don't think of walnut trees to be fast growers but they are and they are valuable, im not sure why more people don't plant them. one of my favorite trees.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 am

dan wrote:We planted hybrid willows in the yard here... They grew amazingly fast. Only been about 5 years and they are 15 to 30 feet high.. But, they are not very hardy and the biggest ones are already starting to die... I would consider a mix of hybrid and real so that when the rapid growing trees start to die you have the hardy long living trees starting to take there place. Hybrid seem to grow fast and die fast...

You could also consider buying larger trees and having them put in buy a landscaping company...

We have ordered from: http://www.eburgess.com http://www.excitinggardens.com and there is another place I can't think of the name of but will try and find for you where we bought bulk discount trees.

That's a good point with mixing hybrids with normal growth rate tree. I will do that.

adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:44 am

tim wrote:if you want a quality tree and and a valuable tree and they grow fast for hardwood, and will last a long time,walnut trees. I just plant nuts and they are doing amazingly well. most guys don't think of walnut trees to be fast growers but they are and they are valuable, im not sure why more people don't plant them. one of my favorite trees.
Never thought of that. I will definitely try some of those too. Thanks!

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:12 am

tim wrote:if you want a quality tree and and a valuable tree and they grow fast for hardwood, and will last a long time,walnut trees. I just plant nuts and they are doing amazingly well. most guys don't think of walnut trees to be fast growers but they are and they are valuable, im not sure why more people don't plant them. one of my favorite trees.

The Juglone black walnuts produce is bad for certain garden garden plants, I wonder if its bad for plants growing in the woods?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:57 am

mike_mc wrote:

The Juglone black walnuts produce is bad for certain garden garden plants, I wonder if its bad for plants growing in the woods?

They kill apple and pear trees.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:01 am

It depends on where you are located? What temperate zone you are in is what most trees and shrubs use as a guide to what grows well in your area. Pines and some other conifer trees are known to grow fastest as long as they are in a well drained soil with full sun. Walnut trees are fine trees but produce a chemical called allelopathy that is spread into to soil around the trunk that prevents other plants from growing near them. they are disliked on golf courses because grass will not grow under them. If you are far enough south and was gonna try walnuts, I'd go with the better nut in that tree family group and try pecans.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”