Fast growing trees

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Re: Fast growing trees

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 am

I hear this all the time about walnut trees, things dieing from them or not growing. silver maple should die I have a couple of those junk trees surrounded by walnut trees and I cant kill them by cutting them down, they still try to grow right next to a lot of walnut trees, I have grass growing like crazy around them , my family had walnut trees in back yard big older trees and tomatoes still grew right near them, I just don't see it. maybe in some soils??? supposed to kill lilacs my moms neighbors have a nice size walnut tree that branches extend past her old row of lilacs, nothing they are just fine. just saying , these are experiences, I try to keep track of those situations trying to find a case that something has died or wouldn't grow.

superseal

Unread postby superseal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:04 pm

the forestry division of the Indiana Dnr provides tree seedlings from our state nursery at a very reasonable cost. 1-3 year old seedlings $30-$50 per 100.

seems like there are at least 40-50 varieties. Check your DNR!

Also pines grow fast. I have white pines that are 15 years old and some are 25 feet tall. if you plant them close together for a screen they will shade the ground and nothing will growunderneath. Also the lower & interior branches will die from no sunlight.

I wish I would have spaced them 30 feet apart instead of 10.

Tulip poplar & river birch grow fast as well as some oaks.

As Dan mentioned, you can plant fast growing trees among the more desirable trees. later you can harvest the fast growers.

Also, deer love small seedlings....you will have to protect them for several years. Bucks rubbing will also kill a lot of young trees.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Well that's good to hear, your walnut trees sound like they are great. The black walnut trees here seem to cause issues for some. Maybe it's just the common cultivar we have here. It's probably just isolated cases, And yes soil type and ph could have something to do with this too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:05 pm

I can't remember the name but the leaves do have a chemical that prohibits growth. Can't remember the specifics. I think you have to keep the leaves cleaned up.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Make sure you match your plants to the soil and climate. Speckled Alder likes wet feet, Norway spruce well drained soil, autumn olive can be invasive, some hybrid populars can take cold weather and others not so much, etc. Some plants will grow OK by walnut trees and some won't grow within 50ft of one or will grow poorly due to juglone which washes off leaves in the rain, seeps out of leaves and branches on the ground and leaches out of the roots, but if you plant Carpathian Walnuts you won't have to worry about juglone. Carpathian's grow fast, bare nuts young too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:46 pm

What about bushes or small trees? I think dogwood and tag alder need wet soil, this land is pretty dry.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:18 pm

What do you guys recommend for wet soil? (Central MN)

I've got some un-farmable lowland and the landowner said I can do as I please with it. The only things growing there now are a random Russian olive here and there, and a patch of red osier dogwood.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Lockdown wrote:What do you guys recommend for wet soil? (Central MN)

I've got some un-farmable lowland and the landowner said I can do as I please with it. The only things growing there now are a random Russian olive here and there, and a patch of red osier dogwood.

Tamarack, black spruce, speckled alder, hybrid poplar, hybrid willow, silky dog wood, and pin oak all grow good in wet soil just to name a few. Google coldstream farm. They are a nursery in northern mi. They sell a ton of different shrubs and trees has bare root seedlings or transplants for wetland wildlife and upland.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm

list of trees & soil conditions from MN DNR...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/nursery/choosing.html
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:46 am

Here is a pic of some hybrid poplars that my dad planted for a wind break in 2005. The outside row is biggest because it's getting nitrogen from the alfalfa next to it. I would say that row is 30' tall or better

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am

Have you considered Chestnut trees? I know you're more interested in faster growing trees for cover but adding a couple Chinese chestnuts in the middle of the field could really draw some deer in. A Chestnut/Persimmon mix could really do some damage depending on your season opener date.

Just some food for thought
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”