Looking for Input

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TheChefHunter
Facebook: Reade Cartner

Looking for Input

Unread postby TheChefHunter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:11 am

This is my first year as a bowhunter and it has been a tough year. I am keeping my hopes up for this final stretch however! I hunt a 230 acre property in South Carolina that belongs to my family. It is mostly pines woods or oak ridge with a creek bottom. I have hunted a few spots but would like to know if anything stands out to many on this site. Any input is welcome such as benches, funnels and ridges. Where to place stands and what not. Im only 21 and still learning, thank you in advance for any replies!
copper/albums/userpics/65318/Topo_-_Wispering_Creek_-_2015.jpg
copper/albums/userpics/65318/Wispering_Creek_-_2015.jpg

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Looking for Input

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Maybe I'm just tired, but that angled topo messes with my eyes. However, it looks like you may have some good overlooked bedding. Especially if those permanent stands are the only places that get hunted. Is that the case? What is planted in those fields?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
TheChefHunter

Unread postby TheChefHunter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:44 am

The permanent stands are not all that get hunted. This year I moved around with a climber and found a few spots but none that seemed very consistent. I never put too much pressure in one spot and switched up my areas. I do have a heavily pressured area to deal with. The plots are clover, turnips, and assorted brassicas.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:58 am

I think I'm going to defer to Dan on this one. The topo looks like it is an angled view like you can get when using Google Earth while shifting the view from vertical to horizontal which could throw off the slope of the elevation lines. I'm not very good at these squirrelly looking topo's and wouldn't want to steer you wrong. The stand locations marked are not the greatest and no doubt there is some bedding that it appears is being overlooked, but I think Dan would give you a more thorough analysis on this one so hopefully he see's this and responds.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 pm

The blue dots are where I would put stands, red is where I expect bedding...
TheChefHunter

Unread postby TheChefHunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:04 am

Thank you for the input. Im trying to understand more about bedding areas by looking at maps and I need to do more walking of the property itself. Thank you Dan for your help and I also apologize for the angled map. Ill attach another image that has a vertical view if anyone else wants to chime in. I enjoy learning!

copper/albums/userpics/65318/Topo_-_Vertical_.jpg

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”