Mineral site

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Btoeps74

Mineral site

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:22 pm

There is a lot of info out there on mineral sites. I've noticed reading and talking to some people that it's hit or miss for them as to if deer actually use them.

My question is, soil wise is there a better spot than others to do it? Seems like most that say deer don't utilize them, say they had there's in cedar. I'm wondering if the soil in these places maybe makes it a not so ideal place. Thought I read somewhere that cedar gives off tannic acid, much like red oak, which has bitter acorns.

Anybody have any input on this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

oldrank

Re: Mineral site

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Ive had clay based soils work best.. If i use them in a woodland setting ive had better luck putting them on old stumps. The soil seems to absorb to much of it n the deer dont use it after a while. In clay they will return for many years n dig to get at the minerals.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:04 am

I've had one going for about 3 years now. I use lucky buck. I pourded it on an old stump. Nows there is a 4 ft hole. Deer use it most of the spring and summer not so much in the fall. Just my observation.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:59 am

Ya, mineral sites are primarily spring and summer use. I wouldn't really ever put one in to hunt over. I feel like this is often the reason people think that deer don't utilize them. They make excellent off-season inventory locations though. I am putting some in this spring in some real sandy locations. Not ideal, but it is what I have. Because of the extreme drain-ability of the soil, I am doing 50ish pounds per location of a homemade mineral mixture. Nothing special, just a lot cheaper than the stuff marketed specifically for mineral licks.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Found this thread archived on another site. Most interesting is the info posted by user "nutritionist". I think it is a bit over complicated, but he goes into salt percentage vs intake vs mineral benefit.

http://www.bowsite.com/db/forums/thread ... GES=3&FF=4

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Joe68 wrote:I've had one going for about 3 years now. I use lucky buck. I pourded it on an old stump. Nows there is a 4 ft hole. Deer use it most of the spring and summer not so much in the fall. Just my observation.

My experience as well with lucky buck

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”