water holes

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

water holes

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:15 am

Ive got a 23 acre property that has good food and bedding on it. Some of my neighbors have water I have none. I want to add a small pond or a couple small water holes. Ive had some decent sightings of good bucks on my place I've only had it for two years. Im across the street from a 1200 acre refuge with no hunting. Any tips or suggestions are welcome on placement and types of water holes. Should I put them where I've seen bucks cruising or near the food? I think a good water source could take this property to the next level. Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: water holes

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:43 am

I always like little water holes close to bedding. Seems to sometimes keep a buck in the beds even with a wrong wind direction. But that may be the suppressive heat here in Texas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:56 am

Hawthorne,
Jeff Sturgis has a lot of examples he has given about using a 50 gallon drum and cutting it in half top to bottom. Bury it 3/4 or the way and it will fill with rain water. Put it close to bedding order in staging area. This is a first step before trying to create a pond.

9pt

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 am

Little kiddie pools. I have dug them in before with good success. Easy. Cheap. Does the trick.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:07 am

I use these landscaping tubs you can get at Menard's, they hold around 120 gallons, and that usually last for a month during rut time. I fill them up about Oct 15th, and even with no rain, they usually don't drink them dry by a months time... I like to keep mine around 100 yards from suspected buck bedding.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:40 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I use these landscaping tubs you can get at Menard's, they hold around 120 gallons, and that usually last for a month during rut time. I fill them up about Oct 15th, and even with no rain, they usually don't drink them dry by a months time... I like to keep mine around 100 yards from suspected buck bedding.

I like this idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 am

I've used wal-mart kiddie pools works like a charm. dig a hole and sink them in the ground. Just by a couple bags of sandbox sand and put it in there before you fill it up. Its keeps the deers hooves from puncturing the the bottom.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 am

we took the rubber roof from a roofing project, dug out a depression, laid the roofing material down. over time the small rubber roofing got covered up with mud and leaves and water. sealed up nicely. the small puddle grew into a big pond over time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”