North Wind setups???

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

North Wind setups???

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:16 am

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... ICQiue-CQw

Hey all. I will be in SE Ohio in November, I have posted portions of my property I hunt app 8-10 months ago to try and narrow down stand sites as this will be my first beast approach season. Typical winds range from WSW to SW. An occaisional North or WNW do show up too. I am looking for features that may stick out to you. The southwesternmost piece of the land is a hill that is very thick and I am assuming its used for doe bedding as when I was a teenager the ag field to the south would be littered in evenings wit bucks and does. To the west of this boundary and on other side of county road see far left/west are two strictly managed farms and with the photos I get along with the kills the two farms produce I am guessing this is a good cruising zone between my property. I am really interested in stand setups tat look good per the topograpy, want any advantage I can get. Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: North Wind setups???

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 am

Beast and/or bed hunting will be much more productive away from November and the rut. Techniques that are common in October get set aside for a different set of techniques for bucks running and being less consistent in bedding.
With your North wind question I say look for East/west ridges. Hunt on the southern facing slopes.
I am finding that asking very specific questions will always get good answers from folks here. When I get another chance I will look at your map.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by justdirtyfun on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:18 am

I am mainly looking for northern or northwest wind setup advice. I would take advice on any wind if you see a good rut location. The area south of twp. road 500 is where I just gained access to and have never posted this portion of property on here so this is my area I am really interested in. Sorry for the confusion.
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 am

I hunt south east ohio too my 2 cents is stick with the best winds that bucks move from bedding too feeding and rut active, I like you find south winds the best in my lease to south east and south west a north wind is a dead zone. a north east will get some action but not a lot. my reasoning for this is time you get too hunt unless you live there and second the beast way won,t work on my place too many thorn bushes to wade through and the bucks just know when your in close too there bedroom. 90% of bucks only come from the bedding aera I am talking of it,s so werid bucks from the left does from the right and 3/4 of my lease sits on a huge bluff faceing 77 that the bucks bed on no one around me can get too them but me wateing them to get on there feet
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:25 am

Boy I'm full of lousy advice today lol.
Can answer a question that wasn't asked??
A highlight of your area might be the North East corner. Your common SW wind will have early season buck beds looking down at the road on all those North facing points. That Ridge reminds me of a comb.
We are dealt certain cards on each property and need to be played a specific way. You have firsthand knowledge of this place. That will beat cyberscouting any day.
I used to hunt next to a "managed" 1000 acre property and setting up near it almost gave me a trophy buck. My aim was lousy and missed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”