Looking to Manage my Land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chadwick9

Looking to Manage my Land

Unread postby chadwick9 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:03 am

I'm looking to change the layout of my land to more of a management piece. I own close to 40 acres, 33 to be exact, and want to be able to hunt it and use it as a deer herd management for numbers and research. I know it's not the Beast way but I'd like to have a consistent herd behind my house. I still do a ton of public land hunts but would like to use this for my cousins and family who are interested in taking up hunting. If anyone is familiar with doing this to your own land I would be interested in some pointers of where to put food plots, water holes and bedding. I watched a lot of Jim Wards stuff and want to try to incorporate some of what he does. I'm just looking how to put it all together. Theres a steep ridge on the west side that I'll try to put bedding for bucks. A beaver bog below the ridge for water, along with the pond that has a stream running off it. I have a skidder and plan on clearing 3-4 acres for a couple plots and using the plow to make a 20 foot water hole. As well as hinge cutting to provide a safe zone for does. My access is around either side of the pond or taking my canoe straight across. Could be a good stand to let a west wind blow my scent over the water. How would some of you land managers construct and layout this land?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Looking to Manage my Land

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:04 am

Just some initial thoughts, if you put the plot near the ridge any downward thermals in the evening could pull your scent down to the deer. If you place it close to the pond the thermals could pull it to the water so you could setup that way and use your canoe access for a killer setup.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:13 am

How handy are you with a chainsaw? Try looking up Whitetail Habitat Solutions on YouTube. Good info there.
Also, put a grid sheet over your property photo and trace timber changes. Mark the timber grids that you want to change, thin etc. & look at as if it were 330 acres instead of 33...my two cents!
Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Pm Dan and ask him what he thinks. I'd be worth the money for him to come and and give you some ideas. Assuming that you're within a reasonable driving distance from Rome........Wisconsin.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”