Shout out to Slayer Seed!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mibowhunter
500 Club

Shout out to Slayer Seed!

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Back in the fall of 2012 I won a 1/4 acre bag of Ravishing Radishes from Slayer Seed... I had intended to plant it in early fall of 2013, but we ended up in a housing crisis and I wasn't able to get the seed in the ground. During the housing move in 2013, the seed got misplaced and I kind of forgot about it. Fast forward to this spring, and I uncovered the bag of seed stuffed deep in one of my hunting bins. No longer having a place to put it, I gave it to my neighbor with the disclaimer that the seed was 2+ years old. He put it in the ground and I went to check it out with him this past weekend and WOW! The radishes look incredible! I wish I had a picture, but the germination rate was amazing even for being planted 2 years later than I had intended. I think he's going to have a sweet little plot come late season...

A big thanks to Lance for the donation and for putting together a mix of quality seed... You will get my first recommendation if anyone asks me where to get seed.

FRH
500 Club

Re: Shout out to Slayer Seed!

Unread postby FRH » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:43 pm

I planted a plot of the crimson trail in 2012 and it's still going strong. I mow it in the spring and again in July with periodic fertilizer applications and this stuff looks awesome. Plenty of forage in it. This is in the middle of a woods that I cleared out an opening, I have does in there almost every night and come end of October I get tons of buck pics of different deer cruising through checking out the area.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks guy's! I appreciate the kind words. 8-)

mibowhunter,
I purposely only sell the freshest seed possible for that reason. I lose a good bit of money every year because I don't just store left over seed and use it in my mixes the next year (even though it would grow good in most cases) because I think people should get fresh seed for the best results and so they can use any left over seed the next year or 2-3 years down the road and still get good results assuming they store it properly (although generally speaking legumes should be reinoculated). I have received seed I ordered directly from food plot companies many years ago that was up to five years old according to the lable and germination was poor. I swore I would never do that to someone.

I will sometimes sell seed a couple years old at a discount to people I know that don't mind, but I don't put it in my mixes and they know how old it is. I still have some seed that is six years old laying around here. Stored properly many seeds can last a long time. I may check the germination of that six year old seed next year and it may get used.

I'm glad you were finally able to arrange for that seed to meet some dirt. Feel free to post some pics if you get some. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:44 am

I planted the ravishing radish three weeks ago and it is coming up awesome. I had just enough space between plants to spread some rye and urea.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:52 am

Bheckel8 wrote:I planted the ravishing radish three weeks ago and it is coming up awesome. I had just enough space between plants to spread some rye and urea.

Did you spread the rye over the holiday weekend? How big were the radishes?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:21 am

Year after year, I see the pictures of the guys food plots after they use Slayer Seed- man, that stuff's awesome! Great product, Lance!

The Big Buck Serial Killer himself has used it successfully too. 8-)
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:46 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Bheckel8 wrote:I planted the ravishing radish three weeks ago and it is coming up awesome. I had just enough space between plants to spread some rye and urea

Did you spread the rye over the holiday weekend? How big were the radishes?

Yea I spread rye and urea both this past weekend. Trying to figure out how to send pic. I would say 6-8" maybe more in some spots. I sent your email a pic of one of the plots.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:03 pm

I got the pics. It looks like you have been getting some good growing weather. 8-)
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:47 am

Yea it's been a good combination of weather. Real happy with results. Can wait to see how the rye fills the gap.

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:21 am

Deerslayer,

I will check out some of your old stuff for you and let you know how it does. PM some time and we can talk cost. It would not go in the ground till next year so it could make it to 7 (lol).

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”