First Year Hunting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Morganne222

First Year Hunting

Unread postby Morganne222 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:42 am

I am bowhunting my first year near my college. Here are three properties that I would like to hunt. I am in central Wisconsin so there is deer sign everywhere but I don't know what's at night or during the day. I don't have the resources to get trail cams. I did a quick scouting mid August when I was able to move back to school but I didn't want to bump any deer. I am planning on doing some running and gunning until I get a better idea of the land. Any suggestions as to where?

Property #1

Property #2

Property #3

chadwick9

Re: First Year Hunting

Unread postby chadwick9 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:21 am

I'm no expert on this but your first set of pictures stand out to me. I tried a really poor attempt to explain how I would hunt them. That section of woods just above where you can hunt is where I would target. It creates a natural travel corridor so the deer can stay hidden and not expose themselves in the field. I would expect them to wrap around the field edge to where you hunt, scent checking the field for does during the rut. Walk along the field and woods transition line to find where they are entering and exiting the field. You should also know or find out what was planted there and when it was harvested. I couldn't tell for sure and can't say without walking it, but where I marked the blue lines looks like it could be a saddle. If I was you I would try to get permission to hunt that and possibly put a stand on the small hill in between the saddles. The red is where I expect the bucks to bed, along the thick lines I covered in red. Again I am no expert like Dan and others but this is what I would do from what I have learned. I hope others chime in and help who know a lot more than I do.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”