Throw and Mow or Mow and Throw

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Throw and Mow or Mow and Throw

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:32 am

Have a plot I have sprayed, lots of tall weeds, now I need to mow it. We are forecasted to get rain the next few days so I am wondering if it would be better to wait and mow first or if it'd be good to broadcast the seed and mow after…like next weekend or if I should wait and mow it first before I broadcast. Won't be doing any tilling.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Throw and Mow or Mow and Throw

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:36 am

Throw then mow unless the weeds are really high.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:49 pm

You would want the seed under the clippings.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Throw then mow unless the weeds are really high.

Yup. You want those seeds in direct contact with the soil. If the weeds are too tall you can end up with so many clippings that it acts like a weed mat and kills off anything that sprouts before the clippings break down. A light covering of clippings can help hold moisture like a little micro green house, let a little bit of light down to tiny seedlings and allow those seedlings to pop through.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 am

Unfortunately most weeds are really tall although some I won't be mowing such as the ragweed and a couple other natural plants that consistently get picked on. I'm just cutting those back to encourage branching. I'd plant ragweed if it could survive to December.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:38 am

What are you planting?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”