Anything here jump out at you?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Anything here jump out at you?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Got a new property to hunt..Never been there, but might try some late season and see what happens. Does anything here jump out at you guys? No real topography to speak of..The two larger pieces of woods (north and south) and kinda a big hill, but other than that, its flat and swampy..

Thanks guys..

Zap

Re: Anything here jump out at you?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Just the spot in the middle, due south of the east side of the bigger pond. Where the point's come together.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:38 am

helluva duck hunting prop! man... i bet they poor in all over that place... ponds, creeks, swamps, river.... that place has it all!

should be a brusier hidding in that thick stuff somewhere...

I wish i where as good at killing bucks as I am ducks, geese, and turkeys.... guess its got to have feathers for me to know what to do LOL.

good luck
You can't kill em on the couch
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 am

Nice piece of land here!
NewLand.jpg
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:59 am

Also that N/S narrows just east of the pond. Nice looking chunk of land ;)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:51 am

Schultzy wrote:Nice piece of land here!
NewLand.jpg

Thanks..What are you seeing in those spots Schultzy? Obviously the middle spot you have circled is a big point, but what jumps out at you about the other spots? Are they smaller points that Im not seeing?

Hopefully this land is as sweet as it looks from the aerial photo..I havent had a chance to check it out, but the guy said swampy marshy stuff and my ears perked up! Hopefully I'll get a break from school sometime and I can go check it out..

Anyone else seeing anything?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 am

AC Rider wrote:Also that N/S narrows just east of the pond. Nice looking chunk of land ;)

I like that spot also.. its necked down for a good ambush spot when the deer are traveling from the north bigger timber to the south bigger timber.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Thanks..What are you seeing in those spots Schultzy? Obviously the middle spot you have circled is a big point, but what jumps out at you about the other spots? Are they smaller points that Im not seeing?
The circle on the left In the narrows really only gives them a small area to walk In. I'm assuming there's trees big enough to hunt there. That circle could be on either end of the narrows depending on which way the deer are coming and going from.

The circle on the right Is an Inside corner and to me a buck feels more secure coming out of there. I'd hunt In the woods a little In a staging area on a trail leading to that corner.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 am

Personally, I would not hunt the funnels late season... If your not getting onto that property till late season I would concentrate on bedding.
On the map I marked up, the blue lines represent the area I would cruise if you have snow on the ground to determine where the big buck tracks are coming from bedding going towards feed. If you don't have snow, you may have to push that walk closer to the edge to determine trails...
The yellow dots represent areas that I suspect might have a buck bed.
If your scouting finds sign that there might indeed be a buck bedding in the area of the yellow dot, I would set up to hunt the day I found the sign in the area where I put the red dot.

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 pm

dan wrote:Personally, I would not hunt the funnels late season... If your not getting onto that property till late season I would concentrate on bedding.
On the map I marked up, the blue lines represent the area I would cruise if you have snow on the ground to determine where the big buck tracks are coming from bedding going towards feed. If you don't have snow, you may have to push that walk closer to the edge to determine trails...
The yellow dots represent areas that I suspect might have a buck bed.
If your scouting finds sign that there might indeed be a buck bedding in the area of the yellow dot, I would set up to hunt the day I found the sign in the area where I put the red dot.

Perfect..Thanks a ton! This might not be the best place on the forum to discuss this, but since it got brought up, I have a question Ive been wondering since watching the videos, is how do you determine "hot sign"? What are am I looking for while scouting and going out there for the first time?

Also, say I go in during the spring and scout, and say I find beds where you have marked..when I go back in september or whenever, how do you pick which bed to hunt?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:07 pm

The main sign I like to find is big tracks... They trump everything else.
If there is decent tracks and the ground ain't to hard to see them, set up and give it a go. The sign most hunters look for is rubs and or scrapes... I would worry more about the track size in the scrape ;)
But really, the bucks that do the most rubbing are the 2 or 3 year old bucks. So a lack of rubs or only a couple ain't a bad thing.
When your not really sure if there is a buck bed in there or not, its kind of hard to sit the spot... But if you did your spring scouting and lets say each one of the yellow spots is a buck bed, I personally would hunt every one of them once and just see what happens, some of your best bucks don't leave much sign ;)
As far as making an educated guess about which bedding area the buck is using come season, a perimeter walk around the fields to see the buck tracks entering and exiting the fields and knowing what beds are in those areas should give you a good idea... You could always drop a camera on the food source entrance too, to see if its a shooter or not. Just keep the camera far enough away from where you are going to hunt.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm

If there is decent tracks and the ground ain't to hard to see them, set up and give it a go.

So you are saying if I throw a stand on my back and head out there, if Im getting close to the end of a point and I see big tracks, set up and sit the evening, and if I dont see any tracks or anything, move on to another point or something?

But if you did your spring scouting and lets say each one of the yellow spots is a buck bed, I personally would hunt every one of them once and just see what happens

Even if I can only hunt it once in awhile? What if I only hunt there one or two weekends per month? Still pick a new bed to hunt each time, or what do you suggest for that situation?

..a perimeter walk around the fields to see the buck tracks entering and exiting the fields and knowing what beds are in those areas should give you a good idea...

So if the field across the road is a good food source, and I see tracks there, I wouldnt think that would narrow it down that much, since there are like 6 beds all pretty close to there..right?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 pm

So you are saying if I throw a stand on my back and head out there, if Im getting close to the end of a point and I see big tracks, set up and sit the evening, and if I dont see any tracks or anything, move on to another point or something?

Pretty much...

Even if I can only hunt it once in awhile? What if I only hunt there one or two weekends per month? Still pick a new bed to hunt each time, or what do you suggest for that situation?

DEPENDS ON EXACTLY WHAT YOUR SEEING FOR SIGN. However, I would expect much better results if you hunt a fresh spot each time out.

So if the field across the road is a good food source, and I see tracks there, I wouldnt think that would narrow it down that much, since there are like 6 beds all pretty close to there..right?

The tracks would not be looked for "in the field" but rather at the edge on the field and where exactly they come from and where the trail is coming from... In some cases I see a buck useing a field I can pretty much narrow it down to exactly where he is coming from, sometimes it does narrow it to several.. Systematically eliminatinating the potential bedding areas by hunting each one till youare out of bedding areas or have a dead deer is the most sensible way to narrow it down.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Sounds good..Thanks Dan!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:44 am

Schultzy wrote:Nice piece of land here!
NewLand.jpg

X2... There is one more pinch just to the North of the East most circle given by Schultzy. I would start with these 3 spots and see what you come up with... the middle where the points come together would be my initial go to spot.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”