Would you recommend a food plot here?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Would you recommend a food plot here?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 am

My earlier post about the weeds was in reference to the outlined field in the picture. Where I have the shapes draw I am considering putting food plots in. The one in the middle of the woods, definitely. The spot in the middle of the picture between my house and the road I am debating. Deer are often in my field by the road grazing at night. I was thinking of putting a plot in there to draw more deer in and hold them better for hunting behind my house. The lines I drew are the typical travel routes of the deer. It's basically a ridge line with some nice hubs and funnels. The does bed back behind my house a lot plus it gets a lot of surrounding deer after gun season kicks in as I keep it low pressure. I am also the only one hunting it.

Would it be worthwhile to put a plot in a more public area as outlined in the picture? The area noted has a lot of weedy browse, just thinking a food plot would be better and it's easy access for me. About a half mile to a mile to the West are large areas of soybeans and corn.

As noted, the lines are the basic travel tendencies and the drawn shapes are potential food plot areas. The circular one I had already decided to plant based on response in an earlier post.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Ryan
500 Club

Re: Would you recommend a food plot here?

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 am

I'd had this situation go both ways for me..I had a weeded out area about that size that i cut out and put in a little food plot, different types of clovers and brassicas and it drastically improved my sightings of bucks/deer in general, early season i was pulling in bucks from the entire property to it by changing that up and putting in a plot, now this past season I did the same thing to an area a little smaller in size and ruined the spot, this could of been cause the plot didn't turn out as good as the 1st, or it could be cause there was acorns literally everywhere early season and it wasn't that much of a draw. If the deer are using it now I say leave it, if the activity isn't what you want I would change it up and see what happens
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:11 am

Thanks. It obviously isn't a hunting spot but would serve more to just draw them in more to my area.

If I see 2 bars as one is all old men and the other is all hot young girls, I am most likely gonna go to the one with the hot young girls. Just was wondering about draw potential being close to the road like that although I have seen them walking down the middle of the road on several occasions.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:34 am

Food plots don't have to be "kill" plots... Those larger areas would be great for a variety of seed and could be used to hold and draw bucks to your property. I would also recommend a border around the edge of Egyptian wheat to give the deer that eat there a little peace and a feeling of solitude from the road and house.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 am

dan wrote:Food plots don't have to be "kill" plots... Those larger areas would be great for a variety of seed and could be used to hold and draw bucks to your property. I would also recommend a border around the edge of Egyptian wheat to give the deer that eat there a little peace and a feeling of solitude from the road and house.

Thanks and good idea. They do tend to be edgy and will air off at the slightest intrusion...dogs barking, kids yelling, looking to long.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”