Food Plot Frustrations

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

186buck

Re: Food Plot Frustrations

Unread postby 186buck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 am

I agree the tiller will be hard if you are doing an acre size plot. But I think you could make the ATV tools work if you get the right stuff and you have the proper size ATV. Alot of guy's buy these high end ATV's and then they just drive them around and normally get no use out of them. I would look at the Kolpin Atv dirtworks products they work really good. They produce down pressure not like the pull behind disks that bounce around. But you really need to buy a bigger ATV 550 or larger.

Alot of places where I want a kill plot there is no option to get a tractor in there. The ATV will work for those spots.

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 am

WE did a small plot of clover with the groundhog max. Sprayed first and then maxed it. Came out really nice first year. That said, this was soft soil and it was still tough on the machine. Requires a lot of hard turns and figure 8s to dig deep.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'd personally hit it with 100 lbs of potash (0-0-60), 100 lbs of pelletized lime, and 50 lbs of urea.

These were my thoughts with the results.

PH is OK for rye and brassicas as over the company I got the seeds from.

Rye and brassicas really don't need k so I wasn't too worried that wasnt good.

Thought I would get away with throwing down a bunch of urea.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:25 am

ozzz wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I'd personally hit it with 100 lbs of potash (0-0-60), 100 lbs of pelletized lime, and 50 lbs of urea.

These were my thoughts with the results.

PH is OK for rye and brassicas as over the company I got the seeds from.

Rye and brassicas really don't need k so I wasn't too worried that wasnt good.

Thought I would get away with throwing down a bunch of urea.

Your tonnage will increase significantly if you increase the pH to greater than 6.3.

Whoever told you rye and brassicas don't need potassium doesn't know what they are talking about. Growth will suffer, expect some chlorosis, plot will look stressed.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 am

Greens definetly need K.... triple 17 is the no brainer way to go
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 am

I knew brassicas are heavy N feeders so figured they didn't need much K. My K is definitely low. Should I just focus on getting as much 17 17 17 or equivalent down as I can afford this year and pel lime next spring? Or would I be better off doing some Peel lime this summer yet?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:04 am

ozzz wrote:I knew brassicas are heavy N feeders so figured they didn't need much K. My K is definitely low. Should I just focus on getting as much 17 17 17 or equivalent down as I can afford this year and pel lime next spring? Or would I be better off doing some Peel lime this summer yet?

Pel lime and at least some triple 17 ASAP

If your goal is to try and hold deer.... it is probably important to create as much tonnage as you can... if you goal is to hunt off it... just sweeten up the corner or the area you plan on hunting for now... and work on improving the rest as you can afford it
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 am

ozzz wrote:I knew brassicas are heavy N feeders so figured they didn't need much K. My K is definitely low. Should I just focus on getting as much 17 17 17 or equivalent down as I can afford this year and pel lime next spring? Or would I be better off doing some Peel lime this summer yet?

If your tight on cash, I'd go with fertilizer. Lime is relatively cheap though...

Getting down some ag lime this year would also be a good idea. It doesn't work as fast, but it's a fraction of the cost. The winter will break it down even more. You can do a lot with a wheelbarrow and a leaf blower. A 50 lb bag of ag lime is only $1.50 - $2.00.

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 am

A agree with what is above. For the money spread as much lime as you can now. Urea will be a few dollars more a bag then 18-18-18 so I would get one urea and as much regular as you can now. People say you need 300 lbs per acre but do what you can now and add some more later. I think it's better to not throw it all down at once. Fert is better applied in stages. If you get a big rain it can wash alot of your fert away before it has time to work. Also if you have a sprayer I would look into liquid fert with micro nutrients. You can buy a 25 lbs. bag for $40 dollars and you will get more bang for your buck. It will quickly green things up and then allow the reg fert to take over long term.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:This picture demonstrates the importance for fertilizer. This barkant turnip is growing in my gravel driveway in an area where I rinsed out my fertilizer hopper. Not exactly great growing conditions but with fertilizer this little turnip is going to amount to something.

This little guy did better than I expected growing in gravel. No special treatment. Behold the power of fertilizer!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”