deer movement and cuts into swamps

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

deer movement and cuts into swamps

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 am

lets just say that deer are bedding in the yellow sections or even bedding in the general swamp area, would it be a safe bet to say that deer likely travel to/from these beds using the cuts as depicted in the photo below by the red line, or do you find travel to/from swamp bedding more random in flat country with little elevation changes 10-15 feet max

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: deer movement and cuts into swamps

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 am

The vast majority of the time, the bucks will come down to the swamp on the edge of the cuts (the yellow lines I drew). So will the predators, such as coyote / bobcat / wolf. This is the safest way for all of them to go up and down, along with the easiest. It will be where you naturally drift when you go up and down yourself. All the animals take the easy route most of the time.

If a buck is actively being pursued / chased by a predator or hunter they may well jump into the cut to go up and down, especially if a creek of water is going up and down the hill right there... but most of the time they will take the trails I marked.

A couple of spring scouting seasons ago I was scouting very similar terrain to what you posted and followed a decent buck track down the hill to the swamp. I sat down on a log at the bottom for a drink, and heard a noise above me. A coyote came right down the same trail and was less than 30 feet from me before he recognized that I was there.

In Canada the bluffs and hills I hunt have the same type of movement up and down as what I drew in yellow.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:12 am

Right down the middle of the points as shown by Singing bridge...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:15 am

Singing Bridge wrote:The vast majority of the time, the bucks will come down to the swamp on the edge of the cuts (the yellow lines I drew). So will the predators, such as coyote / bobcat / wolf. This is the safest way for all of them to go up and down, along with the easiest. It will be where you naturally drift when you go up and down yourself. All the animals take the easy route most of the time.

If a buck is actively being pursued / chased by a predator or hunter they may well jump into the cut to go up and down, especially if a creek of water is going up and down the hill right there... but most of the time they will take the trails I marked.

A couple of spring scouting seasons ago I was scouting very similar terrain to what you posted and followed a decent buck track down the hill to the swamp. I sat down on a log at the bottom for a drink, and heard a noise above me. A coyote came right down the same trail and was less than 30 feet from me before he recognized that I was there.

In Canada the bluffs and hills I hunt have the same type of movement up and down as what I drew in yellow.

Yes that's also pretty typical out west for elk. After reading stuff on here it all makes sense. It gives the animals the most options in regards to being able to use as many of their danger identifying senses as possible.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:04 am

There is some sort of hollow or trail running the length of the swamp in the interior. If it is not too deep, those can be big buck funnels during rut, big time. Nobody hunts inside those bottoms and they know it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:03 am

When they go into a swamp it can vary because they want wind to face and often bed and travel off the tips of points that are leeward, or have the wind blowing down them, so they j-hook or circle the point to come to the bedding spot with wind to face... When they leave the swamp and head onto high ground they tend to go up those points regardless of wind, and thats where I kill a lot of my bucks.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:20 pm

dan wrote:When they leave the swamp and head onto high ground they tend to go up those points regardless of wind, and thats where I kill a lot of my bucks.
In this case Dan, do you put a stand in the same locations you would big hill country on the leeward side, or do you set up on those points into the swamp just further back from the bedding area?

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:27 pm

bowhunter1322 wrote:
dan wrote:When they leave the swamp and head onto high ground they tend to go up those points regardless of wind, and thats where I kill a lot of my bucks.
In this case Dan, do you put a stand in the same locations you would big hill country on the leeward side, or do you set up on those points into the swamp just further back from the bedding area?

Good question and one I would not have asked until listening to the recent podcast on wind and thermals. Also areas on I should have bought the hillcountry DVD. When I bought Marsh Bucks. I'm curious to see what Dan says...

9pt

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 pm

PK_ wrote:There is some sort of hollow or trail running the length of the swamp in the interior. If it is not too deep, those can be big buck funnels during rut, big time. Nobody hunts inside those bottoms and they know it.

The little trail is a creek if it's not too deep would you still recommend setting up on it during the rut?

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Singing bridge, thanks for taking the time and showing me that, cleared up a lot of questions
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 am

Why is it that the deer travel up and down the "cuts" vs the funnels?? I'm a novice here but intuitively my thinking was that they would follow the funnels out of the swamp. It seems like they would be naturally funneled up the hill.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:45 am

Ryan wrote:

I set up near as possible to the bed taking thermals into consideration of coarse.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Ryan wrote:
PK_ wrote:There is some sort of hollow or trail running the length of the swamp in the interior. If it is not too deep, those can be big buck funnels during rut, big time. Nobody hunts inside those bottoms and they know it.

The little trail is a creek if it's not too deep would you still recommend setting up on it during the rut?

Ehhh, I don't think so, if it is at all deeper than the water around it, it will be less desirable for travel. Unless it is like less than knee deep…If you have an extra cam, throw it up before season and check it after rut, then you know for next year...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”