Tree identification??

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Tree identification??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 am

Could someone please identify this tree....does it produce nuts that deer like? I think it is a Chinkapin Oak but not sure.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BigHunt

Re: Tree identification??

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am

Looks like some kind of white oak..........
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 am

Looks like a swamp white oak to me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:40 am

Agree, swamp white oak. They do produce acorns if it's big/old enough. Vtree is a good app for tree identification.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 am

Maybe a Basket Oak. Not sure about how tasty the acorns would be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Got a pic of the bark?

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 pm

it looks like swamp white. there is a swamp chestnut oak as well but the lobes are pointed not rounded. they both like the same soils and are both in the white oak family. lower tannins and more palatable than a red. They make pretty good size acorns generally speaking.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47 pm

I didn't take a pic of the bark. It is definitely a swampy area. Kind of glad to know its not a clear cut thing. Thanks for the replies!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Swamp chestnut oak. Check around the base of the tree for debris that can be valuable in tree Id. There should be old acorn caps still visible if the tree dropped acorns last year. If they dropped last year they should drop again this year. These grow well here in tn in swampy and saturated areas. Whitetails here will feed on them but there are always acorns left over so I don't think they are as favored as regular white oak trees. Or maybe there are just an over abundance of acorns in the chestnut oak groves I hunt.

Early season I've had better luck hunting white oaks especially when they are fresh and dropping in October. This tree you have will be even better if it's healthy and the only one in the area. It could be a hotspot if it's the only food tree in there. All deer food loses appeal and some years are better or different than others. During bow season preferred food sources seem to change weekly. Soy beans are amazing in aug but get abandoned soon after bow season opens. They turn yellow and get leathery deer have better options in sept/oct namely acorns. Deer will hammer the same cut beans in dec because they need nutrients and do not have better options. Deer will also eat rotten white oak acorns in jan. Deer do not prefer red oak acorns as much as white oaks typically. Red oak acorns are smaller and have more tannins in them so they taste more bitter. They typically drop later in the season and seem to not go rotten as quickly. The deer I've observed late season dec-jan prefer red oak acorns over white oak.

Kinda like fishing, you gotta figure out what they're bittin on! Check your regs but adding a bit of fertilizer early season could be the ticket to the big sweet acorns or luscious honeysuckle vines. stay tenacious and adapt

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”