What say you

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

What say you

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am

I've got my own Ideas on what I'd like to do with this area In question but what would you do here? This Is a tough area to hunt being this time of year the wind starts coming out of the N to NW more commonly. A south wind would seem great but even when that happens It swirls so bad from the small rise In elevation to the north 50 or so yards of this bedding area. The area to the ESE of the woods and point Is a huge bedding area. I know doe's bed here but I think a few good bucks do too. For years I've been trying to figure out on what's the best way to hunt this spot. Back In 2007 on October 24th I rattled In a 143 Inch 4.5 year old that came out of this bedding area which I was successful In taking. Do I set up In the same spot as I did for him? I also know not all bucks are alike.

Red line Is the boundary's of the property and the yellow line Is the huge bedding area I'm talking about. The white dot Is where I shot my 2007 buck from. Tell me what ya think. Thanks!!

Copy of mud lake 2.jpg

Mud Lake 001.jpg

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: What say you

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:33 pm

If North and North West winds are common for this area I would consider accessing it by boat very early in the morning and setting up. The deer probably feel comfortable accessing that water in daylight if that is the only access to it with that wind. Good luck!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

A WNW or NW wind down in the SW corner of the property could be good, nice funnel there.

I'd take a look at your original set up as well, no coincidence that you shot something there, nice pinch point for a SE wind. You could move N a touch if it was an E wind and still hunt the same area.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks for the Info guys. I ended up putting a stand up In the same tree I shot my buck In back In 2007. I've sat It once and saw 13 deer. Right at dark to the east of me a couple bucks sparred. 5 minutes after they quit another sparring match started but this one was much more Intense. You could tell that these 2 bucks had more weight to them as I could hear their hoves thumping around and the sound of antlers clicking together was real good. 2 decent bucks I'm thinking. They were 40 or so yards away In the neighbors property and I couldn't see a thing as It was pitch black. They all had to be bedded In the neighbors.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”