grass seed

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

grass seed

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Hey guys not sure where to post this. Im looking to start a new lawn on my new house. Does anyone know whats the best seed and where to get it in bulk. I have about 2acres to plant

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: grass seed

Unread postby Zap » Tue May 19, 2015 2:00 pm

getting late to plant now, I would wait until late august.

fall is better since the ground temps are warmer and that helps germination.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Man that's very vague. Can you tell us what town you live in? Do you have shade or full sun? Are you trying to plant a cool season or warm season grass? Zap made a valid point all seeds will struggle to propagate till fall. You could still grow sod if it's a warm season grass. If your planting cool season seeds you could start growing them around sept. Pm me if you'd like I will be happy to help!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Hmm interesting, a landscaper told me mid to late may would be the best time to plant because thats usually last frost? I live in washington county wi. My yard will get full sun for most of the day.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 am

The biggest thing with planting grass seed is water. You gotta keep the ground wet continuously. If you can keep the ground wet you can plant grass in the heat of the summer and the seed will germinate faster than early spring. You can get bulk grass seed from Welters in Iowa. They will UPS it to you. Not sure how much it would cost to ship though. I would get on their web site and do some reading on it.

http://www.welterseed.com/
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed May 20, 2015 2:50 am

Fall is definitely best. Soil test, amount of sun and how you plan to use it would determine grass type. If you need a durable type lawn for kids or dogs would be different from something more for appearance. There are numerous brands and types which serve specific purposes. A fescue type is best all around. Gardens Alive has some great seed that grows to a max of 4 to 5 inches which reduces mowing requirements. Their seed also germinates really well. You can go cheap but you lose on germination rate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 27, 2015 11:32 am

That's quite a bit of grass. Got deer around? Maybe plant the back half with a good high sugar perennial rey grass for the critters. ;) :mrgreen:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”