What could I plant ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

What could I plant ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:50 am

Looking for some info guys...
On our land we have a section that there is powerlines and poles running through... It probably goes for about 200 yards long by 40 yards wide... As of right now, it just has natural grass and weeds that grow in it....
What I'm wondering is this.... Is there something out there that I could spread on top of the ground for seed that would come up next spring ? Like some sort of clover or something ? Now, I really have no way of getting any type of machinery up there to that ridge... I can get my 4 wheeler up there, but even that is tough to get up there.... I was hoping that there is some sort of seed I could throw out there that comes back year after year, and maybe it would give the deer something to munch on in the heart of the winter...

Any ideas ????

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: What could I plant ?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 am

If you can get your wheeler there, what about a disc that pulls behind it? Spraying in the spring would be ideal, but just discing a few times a few weeks apart and then planting clover will work.

I'm not a farmer so don't know all the tricks but this is what have done and it works....maybe not as good as something else tho....make sense?

See link for what I have, disc w/cultipacker...some places rent these out by the day or weekend and they do work real well.

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-Plot-Mule- ... B000N4T8BA
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 am

I just dont think I could get that up to our ridge where the Powerlines are... My 4 wheeler is scratching and clawing just to get up there by itself... I don't know, I was thinking maybe I could take a little rotertiller up there, but that would take forever to till up that way.... I was hoping there was some sort of throw and go seed that would work ?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:08 am

DB, You could try frost seeding clover. Throw it out in Feb or March and let the freeze thaw cycles work the seed into the ground. You may not get an "ideal" plot but I would guess a decent stand. Weeds my become a problem too, it would be nice to be able to mow it, but I guess that is probably not an option either. Good luck.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am

Just my 2 cents. Clover does not tolerate competition from weeds well at all. If you are looking for something long term and will produce for you annually regardless of agricultural and acorn competition for food sources I would consider strategically placed apple trees. Plant dwarf varieties of Arkansas Black apple which is a late dropper (late October), Fuji, and Golden delicious. Plant them fairly close to one another as these varieties are good cross pollinators. Of course you will have to check to see how these varieties hold up in your hardiness zone and am not sure about the soil conditions of this area. The other suggestion is a 30 foot straight row of strawberry bushes at the transition zone. Deer absolutely love them. If you can get back there in the early spring to spray just around the trees to kill down the weeds and once in the summer to spray again and dust for bugs. In a couple of years and limited maintenance you will have a little honey hole that will produce for many, many years.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:08 am

Pumpkins are easy to plant too, and the deer pound them.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:00 am

Indianahunter wrote:Just my 2 cents. Clover does not tolerate competition from weeds well at all. If you are looking for something long term and will produce for you annually regardless of agricultural and acorn competition for food sources I would consider strategically placed apple trees. Plant dwarf varieties of Arkansas Black apple which is a late dropper (late October), Fuji, and Golden delicious. Plant them fairly close to one another as these varieties are good cross pollinators. Of course you will have to check to see how these varieties hold up in your hardiness zone and am not sure about the soil conditions of this area. The other suggestion is a 30 foot straight row of strawberry bushes at the transition zone. Deer absolutely love them. If you can get back there in the early spring to spray just around the trees to kill down the weeds and once in the summer to spray again and dust for bugs. In a couple of years and limited maintenance you will have a little honey hole that will produce for many, many years.

I actually did plant 10 apple tree's earlier this spring, many of which you mentioned, and they are doing really great, all the rain we had this summer was perfect for them.. I planted these on a part we had clear cut last winter.
I do like the strawberry bushes idea though.. They would get perfect sunlight and nothing to block out and rain... The only thing though, I was kind'v hoping for something that the deer could eat in Dec-January when there is not as much food out there...
I do like your idea squirrel, about the frost seeding.... That sounds like it might work, but ya, not sure about the grass and weed problem... Lots of good ideas, maybe I'll try a little bit of both, strawberry bushes and throw some seed down for some sort of clover and just see what happens...
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am

Ive done a lot of food plots and the #1 biggest threat to your plot is weeds. Considering the location of your plot and poor access for equipment I'd say oats is your best bet but not till next year. I would round-up the area this fall if possible and then burn it in late March. Burning is such a big help when your looking at a no till plot, gets all fodder off the ground and adds nutrients. I'd spray again in spring when the weeds come up to 6" and repeat the spraying process till late August, early Sept. Then just cast oats, preferably a day or two before a heavy rain. Figure it will take 4 to 6 weeks before the deer start using your plot consistently. The deer will hit oats all thru fall and also dig thru snow to get at the greens. Soybeans are another good option but they don't germ as well on a no till.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:45 am

3dog wrote:Ive done a lot of food plots and the #1 biggest threat to your plot is weeds. Considering the location of your plot and poor access for equipment I'd say oats is your best bet but not till next year. I would round-up the area this fall if possible and then burn it in late March. Burning is such a big help when your looking at a no till plot, gets all fodder off the ground and adds nutrients. I'd spray again in spring when the weeds come up to 6" and repeat the spraying process till late August, early Sept. Then just cast oats, preferably a day or two before a heavy rain. Figure it will take 4 to 6 weeks before the deer start using your plot consistently. The deer will hit oats all thru fall and also dig thru snow to get at the greens. Soybeans are another good option but they don't germ as well on a no till.

I like the oats idea 3dog, but not sure how safe I feel about a control burn... the woods connects to the area I would be putting in the food plot.... Could I just round up right away in the spring when the weeds start growing and then throw the seed down and maybe try to drag it in with the 4 wheeler and maybe a crusher screen behind the 4 wheeler ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”