Too late to plant grass seed ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Too late to plant grass seed ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 am

Just got done fixing a couple logging roads that washed out from this summers hard rains.... Wondering if it's too late to throw some seed down ? I will probably not be able to water it, so I would be forced to rely on Mother nature for that, which might not be good.... we haven't had any rain for a long time....
Will the seed lay dormant over the winter and come up in the spring if it doesn't grow anymore this year ? I got a bag of mixed grass seed, rye, or whatever... cheap stuff. I think some of it is annual and some preannial...
What do you guys think, am I wasting my time trying to get grass to grow yet this year... I think it said 7 days to germinate, so I'm just not sure if anything will come out of the ground anymore this year ? :?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Too late to plant grass seed ?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 am

This time of year I would try Rye grain (not grass), but you need to plant NOW. If you live in the northern part of the state it might have trouble growing, but rye is cheap so I would try it. Then in the spring you can kill it before it seeds out and plant something better.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Plant the grass along with an equal amount of feed wheat.
You will be happy you did when spring rolls around.......

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:04 am

thanks for the advice guys, sounds great... I live in the southern part of the state, so hopefully I will get a few warm days yet, but, I guess it is almost November... I guess I will just see what happens.. I got it all seeded last night, I put it on pretty thick, so hopefully it will turn out good... Thanks again guys.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:07 am

I like to wait a couple more weks to plant any grass seed. You will be very surprized next spring when the grass pops up everywhere. In my opinion it is the best time of the year(in the next couple weeks) to plant grass seed. Don't have to worry about watering it.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:17 am

Let me ask you guys this then..... Is it important to get the seed raked in ? I got most of it done, but not all, I ran out of daylight, and I'm not sure I will be able to get out there this weekend to get it done, and I'm not sure I want to go out there and put my scent in the woods again.... will it be alright just laying on top of the ground or should I make sure I get the rest of that seed raked into the ground ?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:23 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Most seed should grow fine just laying on top this time of year. Most varieties of oats I have tried have not done well laying on top, but wheat and rye will do great. Right now the morning dew will often be enough to germinate the seed.

The reason I mentioned using rye grain vs rye grass is because most varieties of rye grass are prolific re-seeder's even with out tillage and can become a problem.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:34 am

Many landscape companies lay seed even in the first snow. The seed stays dormant until the spring then has plenty of moisture to grow.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:49 am

dreaming bucks,
I'm going on the assumption that you want it for hunting this year and plan to replant with a high quality forage (like clover) next year right?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:dreaming bucks,
I'm going on the assumption that you want it for hunting this year and plan to replant with a high quality forage (like clover) next year right?

actually no...
I just want to keep the road from washing out next year.. I just want to get a good base of grass or clover or whatever, just something so when it rains hard ( like it did to me this year ), it will stop the road from creating big craters and washing out..

The deer have all kinds of crops to eat if they just go down the hill another 100 yards... It's right in the middle of the woods, and I'm not sure it would get enough light to grow any sort of food plot crop.... Bottom line, I just want to keep that road from washing out, so I can use it to get up and over the hill with my 4 wheeler if I shoot something down on that side of the hill...

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”