Help in Ohio, Rut set up?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Help in Ohio, Rut set up?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:48 am

I will find out shortly if this works, first time trying. This is my farm back home in SE Ohio, I get home for one week trip in Novembe 5-11 so time in the woods is an issue. I just ordered hill country bucks to better my understanding of how to hunt the hills more effectively and looking to locate potential beds, travel routes, and stand set ups. The single field is an acre, usually with wheat/brassica. The rest of the property is timber, a mix of maple, oak, ash. The area to south is neighbors clear cut which is very thick and I assume solid bedding, bout 6 years into it. The yellow x is my parents place, just to the right of it has always been a good bedding location as its pretty thick. I have just not seen good deer when I get home, I get pics all summer of anywhere from 3-4 135" plus, this year had one pushing upper 150's. They seem to disappear, I known I am part of the issue not understanding how to hunt the land effectively and just looking for suggestions so I can capitalize on my trip home. I did not put a compass on here. Left side is west, bottom is south, etc. If any questions pls. ask???? Thanks all!

mattyq2402

Re: Help in Ohio, Rut set up?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 am

I think I have it figured out!!!! Typical wind in Nov. is from SW, Sometimes WSW. Further if you look east of food plot the hillsides becomes pretty thick. Surrounding properties do get pressure. Several QDMA farms bordering and within a mile or two so pretty decent neighbors.

I got in the habit of hunting field edge and too much at that fyi. Also top elevations are 900 ft.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:18 am

Last edited by mattyq2402 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 am

Bigger dots should be your setups... looks like a hike to get to them though :mrgreen:

Blue are cruzn bucks and draws coming out of bottoms

I really like the "saddle" to the far North and the huge draw just to the West of it... then the yellow dot just North of your food plot on top of that mini drainage

The "huge draw" West dot should have a bunch of sign at that top where I marked the yellow dot... two huge East-West ridge lines come together there.... should be a good rut spot :D

Is there by chance a fence line on the West border of the propety you hunt? That would make that West draw dot ever better
Last edited by Bucky on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 am

Bucky, thanks a bunch for the input. Te only issue with the east west junction is neighbors just to south of junction make a lot of noise but I am definately gonna try that saddle. Just west of property line and neighbors place is super thick hillside. further west of that hillside I have lost 3 shooters that I had summer and early fall picks to other hunters on ajoining prop. I have never hunted any of the spots u located, i'm excited!

Any ideas on bedding wit the topography?
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 am

mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 am

The blue shade is just thick cover fyi
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 am

That bedding point to the East of your food plot screams buck bed... especially if it is thick. Look for sign going back and forth between the point and the food plot... should be a good spot to hunt (requires a South wind or South East)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”